The Ich setback, don't let this happen to you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Guys
Now that I've had some time I figured i would post some photos about the ramifications of not QT'ing your fish prior to adding them to the DT like i did and won't do again.

Tank Prior to ICH
img_1026006_0_36a40d88ef1d056db928143d140ad1a4.jpg

During the capture
LR in QT Tank
img_1026006_1_353ba6ac711526a4a12a5bf2b3b78896.jpg

LR in buckets
img_1026006_2_2010003d9a5d9f5ad75a8b162006e6d1.jpg

DT after the Hunt
img_1026006_3_fa9ff91b987ef58b75068e8f0701eb00.jpg

The Setup QT
img_1026006_4_afe0a8b7dc2cd53be5b340d9c79ccefb.jpg

The Scape re-done after the QT setup and capture
img_1026006_5_d6ba6951db042e0e5a1d259ae8f20e07.jpg

FYI, all of the fish are doing excellent and aren't showing any signs of ich and still in hyposalinity treatment with 50% PWC's every other day at a specific gravity of 1.007-009 and all of the inverts in the DT are doing well and survived the major disruption. To be honest I was worried they would be adversely affected but my worries were unfounded and seem to be more active in hypo. They have been in for two weeks now and plan on another 3 to 5 weeks before they get introduced into the DT. IMO all fish should go through QT/treatment prior to adding them to the DT to avoid what I went through, (Lost 1 caribbean tang and took 3 days to get everything sorted out) however bad it seems It could have been a lot worse and wouldn't of happened if I put the fish through QT first. For those of you who say I don't need to do that, good luck to you. Remember the fish you are looking to buy may not show any external signs if ich but may have it on their gills or just be a carrier and not affected by ich so be careful.
Thanks to all the members who helped me out with the way to go and how to do it, it's been a stressful but huge learning experience that should and could be avoided. I do like the scape better this way then before.:D

Ciao

Glad everything starting to shape up. How did the boss take it?

Glad everything starting to shape up. How did the boss take it?
Thanks for asking, she took it OK and was very helpful throughout everything, when I get them back in the DT I would like to get another caribbean and an anemone for the clowns. As for the rest I'm pleased with the way everything went and my new scape.:D

You caught that just in time, everything still looks great. Glad the boss is okay with it. :) This is a good thing for her to learn. I don't think she'll be giving up fish any time soon. :D

You caught that just in time, everything still looks great. Glad the boss is okay with it. :) This is a good thing for her to learn. I don't think she'll be giving up fish any time soon. :D

Thanks Flake. Thank god we did catch it, I can't believe how quickly things can go south with ich. It's amazing how much she learned and understands, she checks on them everyday and uses a magnifying glass that she found to examine everyone in all 3 tanks for signs of white spots. She loves her fish and wants to get more and more involved. She was actually consoling me by saying daddy that's OK these things happen sometimes then began helping me dismantle the DT. That one blew me away.

Great post! Wow, I love BOTH aquascapes!

I know its not worth it but I like the new scape better than the old. You are now officially the poster child for QT'ing fish! LOL

I know its not worth it but I like the new scape better than the old. You are now officially the poster child for QT'ing fish! LOL
Yeah, so do I, it only took three days of bad words and tylenol to get it done:bawl:. Thanks for honor SM. :ROFLMAO:

I have to say, you've come a long way so far from this whole ich outbreak. It should have never happened in the first place.. :( Some of us get lucky, some of us don't. I'm just really happy to see that you are recuperating from the whole mess. I also love the rockwork that you set up. It really does look fantastic. Just want to say that i'm happy that you're getting back on the horse.

Good Luck!

Thanks Zer0. One thing for the record, I never fell off the horse the ride just got a little rough so I hung on tighter.:D

Last edited:
right Inferno. That's exactly what i wanted to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom