Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Infamous Moving My Tank Questions

Okay, here goes...moving in three weeks about 30 minutes away...I'm gettin hitched in May .
20 gallon tank with LR and LS, one clown, one firefish, and one yellow goby. I've heard here the concept of draining all but about 10 gallons from the tank, placing the 10 gallons of water I am taking out into 5 gallon buckets, then moving the entire tank in a car to the new location and setting it up there. Sounds benign and simple.
Questions:
1) should the fish stay in the tank during the turbulent ride? should I move them to the buckets?
2) if they stay in the tank, the water will cloud up like crazy, will this kill my fish?
3) what are my time constraints? Do I have a clock on how long I can keep the tank water in the buckets before re-introducing it into the tank? It's very cold up here in NY.
4) what is the best way from keeping the tragedy of the tank cracking from occurring? The road there has several hills to climb and descend.
5) has anyone actually done this successfully? Share.

As always, thank you guys for being so great on here. This is the best website for advice on anything I've encountered.
- Walt

Old 02-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Congrats on getting hitched. I wish you the very best. Many folks have moved tanks before. Only 30 minutes you will be fine. If it was me I would have a couple buckets. One to hold the LR(in SW) in and the other to hold fish and corals. When you get to the new place rinse the tank out and add new sand. Too much trash will be in the old. Then add your LR, Fish and corals back to your tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just to update...move my tank on Saturday and it went really well! The fish and the rocks and all are in good shape and the tank survived sans any cracks PHEW! Thank God for good friends in this life.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Im glad all went well. Enjoy the new life.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Pssst....

You know all that stuff ya'll did when you were just dating. DO NOT STOP just 'cause you're married now!

Best of luck to you!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com