The Infamous Moving My Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, here goes...moving in three weeks about 30 minutes away...I'm gettin hitched in May :).
20 gallon tank with LR and LS, one clown, one firefish, and one yellow goby. I've heard here the concept of draining all but about 10 gallons from the tank, placing the 10 gallons of water I am taking out into 5 gallon buckets, then moving the entire tank in a car to the new location and setting it up there. Sounds benign and simple.
Questions:
1) should the fish stay in the tank during the turbulent ride? should I move them to the buckets?
2) if they stay in the tank, the water will cloud up like crazy, will this kill my fish?
3) what are my time constraints? Do I have a clock on how long I can keep the tank water in the buckets before re-introducing it into the tank? It's very cold up here in NY.
4) what is the best way from keeping the tragedy of the tank cracking from occurring? The road there has several hills to climb and descend.
5) has anyone actually done this successfully? Share.

As always, thank you guys for being so great on here. This is the best website for advice on anything I've encountered.
- Walt

Congrats on getting hitched. I wish you the very best. Many folks have moved tanks before. Only 30 minutes you will be fine. If it was me I would have a couple buckets. One to hold the LR(in SW) in and the other to hold fish and corals. When you get to the new place rinse the tank out and add new sand. Too much trash will be in the old. Then add your LR, Fish and corals back to your tank.

Just to update...move my tank on Saturday and it went really well! :) The fish and the rocks and all are in good shape and the tank survived sans any cracks PHEW! Thank God for good friends in this life.

Pssst....

You know all that stuff ya'll did when you were just dating. DO NOT STOP just 'cause you're married now!

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom