The sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just out of curiosity what would happen if I got snails and hermit crabs from the ocean and put it in my saltwater tank? Would they survive? Harm my tank?

Depends on where you live pacific or Atlantic ocean. If you have cold water tank there are cold water inverts in the Atlantic. If you have tropical tank use pacific inverts. But be careful on what you put in the tank. Some are not reef safe

I live in Atlantic so would a couple hermits and snails survive in my tank that's just a fowlr tank?

This was not an invert so take it with a grain of salt. I caught a baby puffer in a shrimp net when I lived in Charleston SC. Took him home, did the drip acclimation and put him in my tank.

Kept him for 2 years until I moved! He had the most beautiful blue eyes and would come to the front of the tank to watch us. :lol:

But on the hermit side, I would bring them home from the beach frequently.

What's the drip acclamation or whatever??

What about diseases they may carry?

When bringing home self caught inverts, you need to be aware that some will carry parasites and diseases with them that won't harm the animals at sea but can overrun a closed system tank. Any invert that holds water (i.e. anemones, cucumbers, corals, etc) should be quarantined for at least 3-4 weeks before adding to a main display tank. This will give any disease or parasite a chance to become apparent or die off from lack of host.
Items like crabs and shrimps should be safe but snails are known disease carriers. I would suggest you always quarantine any new item before exposing your tank.

Hope this helps (y)

When bringing home self caught inverts, you need to be aware that some will carry parasites and diseases with them that won't harm the animals at sea but can overrun a closed system tank. Any invert that holds water (i.e. anemones, cucumbers, corals, etc) should be quarantined for at least 3-4 weeks before adding to a main display tank. This will give any disease or parasite a chance to become apparent or die off from lack of host.
Items like crabs and shrimps should be safe but snails are known disease carriers. I would suggest you always quarantine any new item before exposing your tank.

Hope this helps (y)

Absolutely!

Back
Top Bottom