Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the werdest thing

i have a clown, cardinal, and angel fish in my tank. As of today it looks as if my cardinal is going to die. And i haven't seen my clown in 2 days. He usually hides in the rocks but I'm assuming hes dead as well. Naturally i can only expect my angel to go soon as well too.
I'm assuming its my water quality and will get it checked out tomorrow morning.
The really weird part is that my angel seems to be fine as of right now...at least its swimming patter looks good. However it keeps swimming sideways only at the bottom when there is a hermit crab next to it. Everywhere else its normal.....its as if hes trying to get right next to the hermit crabs. What the heck is going on.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
He could be trying to get the hermit out of his "territory".
Get us some water parameters and we can go from there.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Did you cycle the tank before you added fish?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #4

Yes, the tank has been cycled a couple of times. I did it as soon as the cardinal died in fear that my nitrate levels were to high. The angel fish is doing fine. Still swimming on top of ther hermits though. It reminds me of when the shrimp jump on the fish and "clean them" do you think the angel fish is attempting to get the hermits to "clean" him?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I doubt it.....still waiting for the test results....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappageorgio View Post
Yes, the tank has been cycled a couple of times. I did it as soon as the cardinal died in fear that my nitrate levels were to high. ...
I'm a little confused. So - your cardinal is now dead... the one that was alive a couple days ago? And you say you just cycled your tank again "...as soon as the cardinal died..." which would mean just within the last day or two.

Just so we're all talking the same talk - cycling is when you introduce an ammonia source, and establish a population of bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrites, and the nitrites to nitrates. It's something you don't need to do multiple times. I have a feeling that you mean water changes, and not cycling? Which brings us back to the question of whether or not the tank has been cycled? Test results for ammonia and nitrites would give us the answer...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #7

ah sorry. Yeah i was just being an idiot for a second. Haha i do mean water changes and the tank has been completely cycled. I took the water to my local fish store to get it tested and they said everything looks good. Here is a video of the now only remaining fish i have doing the wierd thing i'm talking about. ANy light shed on the situation would be appreciated
Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #8

this is the video.... does anyone know exactly what kind of angel fish this is too?YouTube - THE REAL REAL fish video 112
Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am pretty sure it as a koran angel, they get alot bigger then the size of that tank will allow, perhaps it is killing things off to make room for itself. The markings on the fish tell me that it is a baby now.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

just currious but do you have anything other than the air stone giving circulation in the tank? I say this because that angel seems to be breathing quite heavily, and when you pan up to the top of the aquarium it looks like you have almost no surface agitation. Im not 100% sure but they could have died from poor oxygenation. air stones dont work nearly as well in SW as they do in fresh. And SW fish and inverts can die quite quickly without propper oxygen levels. Saltwater really requires good surface agitation (through water movement) in order to keep propper oxygen levels.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com