Thick grass growing out of LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luckybomb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is started a new 40gal tank a few months back. One of the live rock is growing a thick grass type plant out of it. It has not spread to any of the other rock as of yet. As it looks so far it's not the stringy type of grass but it may be how it starts, I am unsure. I have three other fish tanks and I've never seen anything like this growing out of the rock. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, have an awesome day!!

I did add pics to the first post I guess it didn't except it. I'm doing his from my ipad. If this doesn't work I'll do it from the comp tomorrow.

Neomeris sp.

Ok thank you. Do you guys have any advice on getting rid of it. I've read it will die on its own generally but comes back. It has not spread yet and I see the word infestation in which I believe I want to stay away from. Any suggestions would be great. Have an awesome day!!

It will always stay in short little stubs like you see there. Manual removal would be my suggestion. Pluck them off when you do your water change. The only other thing I can suggest is cutting back on feeding, and upping water changes to remove the nutrients in the water column.

Thanks for your response. I've been reading to boil that rock infected with it. If I boiled that one piece of rock will it harm that rock or anything other then obviously killing any on/in the rock. It should all recreate all the micro organisms and life on it if all the other rock is fine, correct?

Never boil rock. If there was a zoa or paly on it, it would release a poison and could kill you.
Yes, you would have to recycle that rock since everything in it would be dead. I wouldn't add it back to the tank without cycling it in another container and a good scrub down though.

If you want to get rid of it. I suggest on your next water change, take that rock out and scrub it down with a brush (a new brush that has never touched soap) then dip it in the water you just took out of your aquarium to rinse it off. And repeat.

Back
Top Bottom