Think I may have moved a little too fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

basket440

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I am starting to think I moved a little fast with adding fish. I haven't really observed anything that makes me think the fish are stressed or I added them too early but I have read about people waiting months before adding fish. I have a yellow tail damsel, 2 clarkii clowns and a royal gramma and I just pasted the 2nd week marker (2 weeks 2 days). I added 2 damsels after 1 week (had to take one out, aggression issues) and then added the other 3 the next week. This was all under the advice of my LFS. I know they are there to make money but this one seems to be the best one in my area even the other pet stores recommend this place! They tested my ammonia and it was below .4 and no trace of nitrides. I have live rock and sand and I was told that would speed the cycle up I also added biozyme whether it helps or not is in the air. I'm just nervous about the welfare of my fish any input would be great. Thanks!

Hi. I think you may have gone a tad bit fast. :)

You should be reading 0 ammonia not close but 0.

I would keep an eye on what you have and test every few days at most. i also wouldnt add anything for awhile, you need your beneficial bacteria to catch up to the bigger than its used to bioload.

Presence of ammonia and lack of nitrides/nitrites is a good clue the tank hasn't had proper time to mature and complete the cycle. How big of a tank are we talking btw?

Presence of ammonia and lack of nitrides/nitrites is a good clue the tank hasn't had proper time to mature and complete the cycle. How big of a tank are we talking btw?

The tank is 55 gallons.

When they say "speed up the cycle" it means it jumpstarts it. It doesn't necessarily makes the actual process faster. Just give it time to cycle, maybe if you have a spare 10 gallon tank or so lying around you could set it up for quarantine until the other tank is done cycling. The quarantine tank allows you to more easily perform water changes in order to control the presence of ammonia/nitrites/nitrates which, as you know, is detrimental to the health of your fish. It generally takes 2-3 weeks for a tank to fully cycle. The addition of a lot of livestock at once can also cause the ammonia to rise while the beneficial bacteria attempt to catch up.

Back
Top Bottom