Think I'm giving up on my fuge... what filter should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pain Devine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had it... My plumbing just isn't working right. I can't get the syphon to move enough water even with my pump on it's slowest speed. I don't trust it and I don't think I ever will. I just want to keep the water in the tank where it's safe.

So... if I do away with the fuge, what kind of mechanical filter should I get? It's a 16 gallon saltwater tank. I plan on having it FOWLR and maybe a plant or 2. My pump will do up to 180 GPH or so.

Where are you putting your fuge? I have mine on top of canopy. I have never had room to put one underneith the tank. Try not to give up on it they are well worth the effort. I know there someone on this site that can help.

I love to watch the life forms in my fuge and mine is only a month old.

Where are you syphoning the water from ? Sump or main tank?

syphoning from the main tank to the fuge and then pumping it back up. But, again, I don't wanna deal with it any more. I just want fish. What filter works for saltwater? Can I mkae one with all this extra PVC I have laying around?

Pain Devine,

When I set up my 1st salt water aquarium (all glass 55 gal) I didn't want to mess with a syphon, drilling the glass, or a sump. I went with an elaborate DIY mechanical monstrosity of a filtration system. I used a common plastic home water filter canister. I used a common, coarse filter element (sediment filter). When the element expired, I cut away the filter material and was left with a plastic core. I went to a fabric store and purchased a bulk bag of sheet polyfil. I wrapped it arround the core and wrapped kite string to bind it. Presto!!! a DIY canister filter !!! You can find these water filter canisters cheap on Ebay. Plumb it with PVC, use a sponge prefilter.

I plumbed mine: out of the tank, down the back, to a pump, to the canister filter, through my UV sterilizer, and back into the tank.

I hated it with a passion :evil: , you have no idea how much of a pain in the butt it was to unscrew the canister to change the element. I ended up remounting this system to a piece of plywood that could be pulled out from behind the tank to make it a little easier. Sometimes I let it go without changing the filter so long that I hardly didn't have any flow. Stinky :cry:

I ditched the elaborate mechanical filtration, went with a syphon overflow, cheaper than dirt filter sock (simple to change, you can even make them!!!), and an acrylic sump off of Ebay (shop a lot great prices). I love it so much. This is such a relief, simple to maintain, no restriction of pump flow, and the plumbing was easier. A little tricky at first but simplistic.

What you have to do is use a good size sump. Too big isn't necessarily bad. It sounds like you need to restrict the flow a little on the outer box of your syphon overflow. This may sound strange, but it works and silences it a lot. You may have to fiddle with the height of your surface skimmer. If necessary, shim up the whole syphon overflow and move the surface skimmer portion down. This makes a big difference. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just ask. I think you can get it to work reliably.

I would post pictures of your setup. It should not be giving you this much trouble. If you aren't drilled, you need to have a simple overflow siphon box.

Back
Top Bottom