Thinking of buying an RO system -- questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
After paying $1/gallon for RO water at the Safeway yesterday, I started to think abour buying a RO unit.

I've done a little bit of research, but still have some questions. Clearly having more stages and a higher removal rate is better. But given two models with the same number of stages and the same removal rate for the same things, is there any significant difference other than the GPD rating?

If I use my RO unit only once or twice a month, how long will it last before I have to change the filter?

I saw some very cool (but expensive) models with 3 stage filtration and a 35+ GPD rating. I have a 37 gallon tank, and clearly I wouldn't need that much capacity.

Last (and maybe most important) question: would the Kent Bare Bones (10 GPD) model be good enough for my FOWLR tank, or would I need something that produces better quality RO water than that?

If you have two filters with the same number of filters and the same type of filter cartrages within those filter stages then yes the only main difference is the amount it can filter per day.

How long it lasts kind of depends on a.) how much water you flow thru it and b.) how dirty your water going in is.

IMO you should be able to find a 3 stage filter for under or close to $150 and have a GPD rating higher than 35 gal.

Im not sure whats in the Kent bare bones unit.

fishfreek, here's what it says about the Bare Bones from the Kent website:

The BB10TFC is an economical 10 gallon per day RO unit that is compact in size for situations that require less space and the benefit of being portable. On average, this unit will remove 94-98% of tap water contaminants. The BB10TFC includes a 10 gallon per day TFC membrane, an IFCE inline carbon/sediment pre filter, a 3/4 inch garden hose adapter and 6 feet of yellow, blue and orange tubing.

Question to Biggen: did you buy your system from the company in your link, Aqua-Safe?

Sounds like the Kent unit is a two stage unit. Unless they condister the carbon/sediment prefilter as a 'dual' single stage filter.

did you buy your system from the company in your link, Aqua-Safe?

Yes I did and I couldn't be happier with it. The link I posted is a six stage while mine is a five stage. However, I paid the same for mine as the better unit above costs.

I would point out that if I were going to buy another RO unit, I would buy at least a 100 GPD model, but no less than 75 GPD. I know you said you really didn't need one above 35 GPD, but when you think about it, it will take you over 4 hours to fill up a 5 gallon bucket using a unit that produces only 35 GPD. On the other hand, if you get a 75 GPD model, you could fill that same 5 gallon bucket up in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I have a 75 GPD and keep all my water stored in a Rubbermaid Brute 44 gallon trashcan. I am constantly topping of that trashcan to make up for evaporation out of the can (which is minimal but still happens), water changes to the tank, and top off water to the tank (my tank evaporates 2 gallons a day).

Without my 75 GPD unit, I would always be worried I could run out of water if something major happend to my tank to force a large water change.

I bought a 4 stage RO\DI system on eBay for $22.50, just got it set up Saturday. It's not a massive producer (about a gallon an hour) but it serves my purpose. I was doing a search on eBay and there are several good deals on RO systems. Just don't limit your search to the pet section. Do a search on reverse osmosis and you will find some really good deals. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom