This guy serious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but digging up rock in the backyard?

Live rock is nothing more than rock with bacteria growing on it. Whether its out of the ocean or out of a back yard. (if I am wrong some one will have to correct me)

LR is usually porous which provides more surface area for the bacteria to grow. This is why people use BR and also LR.

you wouldnt want to use a smooth polished rock because your taking up more surface area than required.. also, harder to establish and cling to.. your also not giving all the other little critters in the tank a home.. bristle worms.. mantis shrimp.. any other nocturnal worm/invert

you would want to be weary of using any lava rock, marble or anything with a sulfate build, or anything with heavy metels in them..(ie the marble)

When talking "live rock", it's normally assumed that it's originally from an ocean. I don't know of any commercial outfit selling "live rock" that's been taken from the ground. You are correct though... the "live" reference is just the bacteria.

There is no difference between "base rock" and "live rock" except that base rock is "live rock" that isn't "live" anymore, and is normally sold bone dry.

I think folks are missing the point of the Craig's list dude - I think it's just a rant that he thinks real "live rock" is just a scam and you might as well just use rocks out of your garden. Either that, or the guy got scammed on some supposed "live rock". Personally, I'd never even consider it. Too much risk of contamination from who knows what.

I do agree LR is slightly expensive. I mean, you dont see anyone selling dead fiji rock :p

metels, oils, sulfates.. yeah a little to much...

ive always been under the impression though that base rock was just small rubble from live rocks... thats what all my base rock is anyways.

Im new to this, but i've learned alot on this site, if you were really concerned about the price of LR couldn't you just by half of live and the other half in just the dry rock and over time the LR seed the dead?

old picture.. but i started with 3 pieces of live rock..
EVERYTHING ELSE is just dry rock.. that was cultered over a month.
img_978623_0_eaf97f668d374caadcb1043604e18a05.jpg

So the process of turning dry rock and turning it live is relatively quick

I bought 44lbs for 114 however I got shipping charges which went sky high lol. There are good deals there I agree.

Guys, that craigslist ad was in Broward county Florida... average height above sea level is four feet... So, do you really think he is diggin up smooth granite or basalt there? Nope... His backyard is full of stone that was pretty much once sea life...

i live in florida, 2 mins away from beach, if i dig 12 feet all i get is water, i doubt hes digging up what was once coral/sea life in just a couple feet

Back
Top Bottom