This is the best anomone thread I've ever read.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well? What do you all think of this? Will feeding this the way he recommends add to your bio-load? How much can one tank handle in terms of nutrient export? Will feeding it to that logical extreme result in unmanageable water parameters?

Do we have any people here who've been keeping them in low light and feeding them like mad? I'd hate to become a statistic but I'd also love to have an anemone...

Phyl, I'm thinking that if the food is actually consumed and not left to become decaying debris, then that shouldn't increase the bio load since it's being "used" - correct:?: :?:

While this goes against everything I've been taught/told, I have no reason to doubt the advice of Dr. Ron. My last anemone got eaten by a powerhead (my fault :oops: ) so, maybe now is the time to obtain another and see if the daily feedings actually do help. Although, mine seemed to thrive on twice a week feedings.... hmm. It's alot to think about. :|

runway1 said:
Phyl, I'm thinking that if the food is actually consumed and not left to become decaying debris, then that shouldn't increase the bio load since it's being "used" - correct:?: :?:

It's the amount of waste(poop) that anemone releases back into the water.

I've read that thread before and it is a debate over on RC. What works for me is that I don't directly feed my BTA's, they get what ever meaty substance that happens to float into their tentacles. But I love the idea that anemone can also depend on heavy feedings.

Klam said:
t's the amount of waste(poop) that anemone releases back into the water.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

When I first got my green carpet anemone it was fine for quite a while. Then, I overfed it. It went through a bad spell where I was sure I was going to loose it. Eventually, it "passed" a rather large one and immediately recovered.

It could be that the fish I fed it began to rot faster than it could be digested?

My conclusion is that food is important, but that too much of a good thing can be harmful.

Now, I feed smaller chunks. You can also get a feel for how hungry your anemone is based on it's reaction to food.

wow some very interesting talk on this forum. Im new to this forum but i have been posting on coralforum for some time now.

I have a large 8-10 inch BTA. What the doc is saying makes sence to me. I have
had my anem under 200w pc and now 10k MH and it dident seem to make a diff
I feed it 4 days a week. Krill and silversides. One time I found that it spit out
two large silversides I thought at first that it just liked krill better. then I considered
the fish may have been old/bad. I purchased a new bag of silversides and it has yet to spit anouther one out.

Very interesting, indeed. While lighting is important, this does raise some questions about just how important it is.
Hey NewInTown...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Nice to see another one from Minnesota.

wow... this is pretty interesting... I was just reading something on wetwebmedia earlier and the guy was chastising them for not having enough light...

who to believe...

I've given this article alot of thought. And while it may be possible to have an anemone live without sufficient lighting, I've decided I'd rather have decent lighting and a nicely colored anemone than a bleached out creature in my tank. While, I believe the good doctor is right, it is possible to keep them alive that way, I think a good balance between the two and a clean stable system is best. JMO of course but, I dont' intend to change the way I've been doing things.

Fluff said:
I think a good balance between the two and a clean stable system is best. JMO of course but, I dont' intend to change the way I've been doing things.
Kudo's (y) (y)

Cheers
Steve

Fluff, I think that is exactly what the Dr. was saying. He was also trying to force the point that if you omitted light, the anem would still survive but that if you omitted food (relying on micro, clown fishes, etc. to eat), your results would be far more negative.

I think the Dr. and most agree, a nice balance and color would be the optimum approach.

runway1 said:
I think the Dr. and most agree, a nice balance and color would be the optimum approach.
Actually most don't including myself. If you opt for the Dr's approach, it will end up in misfortune. Anemones do need supplimental proteins but how much varies from species and size of the animal in question. If you follow the advice he has given, you won't be successful. They are heavily light dependant and for the most part carbohydrate consuming animals.

Cheers
Steve

For those who can, you should come to the WAMAS MACNA XVII conference . Dr. Ron Shimeck is to be one of the speakers there. Maybe you can pick his brain there. Also, I don't know if anyone has noticed but that thread was writen 4 yrs ago. Every day we learn something new about how to care for our marine tanks. Four years can make a huge difference.

http://www.macnaxvii.com/

Excellent post.

I was wondering why people here were saying that anemones required HIGH light when every anemone I've ever had tries to find cover from my regular ole' PC light.

I just haven't been feeding them enough...

The more I learn about this hobby, the more I think the quest for MORE and MORE light is pointless.

Back
Top Bottom