timing on lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mountaindew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am getting ready to start up my 110.Im not sure about the lighting.I have 2-54 watt actinics,2-10,000K and moon lights.I would like the aquarium to be seen until 9 oclock at night,so how would I set these lights so its still bright at 9 oclock and then get darker

I run mine from 2-10PM. I turn all lights on/off at the same time. You could probably do the actinics about half an hour before and after lights out. Most folke like to run their lights 8-12 hours. I only run mine for 8.....

I run mine for 12 hrs. 9A-9P. As Scott said you can stagger the lights also.

Absolutely not, some just like to. Some have the acintics come on one hour before and one hour after your daylight bulbs.

Especially for a FOLWR you do not need to do anything special. Just set them for what is good for you to view your tank.

Is there any benefits to leaving your lights on longer? lets say you have an anomie and its getting boarder line sufficient light... would it help to leave the lights on for 12hrs vrs less?

Also is there a benefit to leaving it on less time? will less bacteria grow etc?

If you have fish only, it matters not how long you run your lights for or when you turn them off. Just don't go crazy and make it perpetual daytime for your fish. You can have it turn on at 12pm and end at 10pm if you'd like.

Although, it's interesting to add to the natural sun light cycle, if your tank gets some ambient light in the room it's in. I have actinics on at 9am, 1 halide on at 11am, 2 halides on at 12pm, 3 halides on at 1pm, then at 5pm 1 halide off per hour until 8pm, then actinics stay on until 10, and then moonlights on =)

http://www.fishstart.com/?q=aquarium lighting cycle

check out the 2nd link i think.

mnestroy, maybe. But the question is...what are you doing with an anemone in your tank with insufficient light, in the first place? ;) Longer light cycles can help light needy animals, yeah, but so can stronger lights and feeding it more often.

My lights are on from 4 pm to midnight, with some ambient lighting after that. And I do not use a dusk/dawn effect. I turn one 50/50 on and turn the other one about 10 minutes later.

Back
Top Bottom