Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry I'm posting so much today guys. I've been away from the forums for a while and you guys are all so amazing when it comes to help. I set up my very first tank about a year ago and I wouldn't have made it without you guys helping me through :)

Couple of things:
1) how do you guys keep the inside of your glass so clean? I see photos of tanks and the glass is always pristine! I wonder why mine isn't. Any tips for inside glass scraping and cleaning?
2) I have bristleworms....many...I just discovered. I think they can sting other tank buddies. Is it wise to drop in snails in this case? What about hermits?
3) my fish seem to hide all day long. My clown swims next to the heater all day and doesn't move around at all. My goby and my firefish stay in their shared cave until food is dropped in. Is this normal? Would introducing a new fish make things more lively, or jsut more comepttive and prone to fights?

Thanks again guys. Sorry my questions are so weird. I am still learning.

On keeping the glass clean I use a mag float. If it`s just plain bristle worms I leave mine in. They are good janitors for your tank. If you dont like them I think you can put the rock in a super high salinity water and they will come out. That`s what I think I heard before. For those fish they are mostly hiders anyway. You might want to consider getting some fish that are not shy.

Hey there,

It's alright, you're always welcome to ask questions.
First of all. Did you have CUCs at all in your tank? the clean up crew such as snails or hermit crabs. You probably want to have that. Nassarius snails always sift the sands, so it keeps the sands clean and you can also get astrea or turbo or margarita snails, they usually hang on the glass tank eating off the algae :) and when they are done, you can use mag cleaner to make the glass a little cleaner. If you don't have any CUC by now, you most probably want to get some. What size is ur tank?

My clown used to be like urs, hanging around the heater all the time, but I think it's because just like anemone to a clown, your clown feels like the heater is his safe place. My firefish was also like urs, stayed in their holes, but I think you need to check your powerhead. The issue with mine last time was that my PH was too strong, so I changed to a lower gph and now they all swim around nicely.

I hope I answers some questions for u.

Back
Top Bottom