To much rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomas88r

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanna say I read it's two pounds per gallon for rock. I started with 120 pounds in my 90 gallon and just added another 40 pounds of dry rock. It's a lot... Question is is there a problem with to much rock? Besides swimming room obviously there is still some..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi there
In my opinion 2 pounds of rock per gallon is out dated in this day and age it was something that was wrote back in the 70s and never got updated, and with today's filters systems and assessor's you only really need half the amount in my opinion The key to getting the most out of your Live rock to perform is a good flow and circulation,
But the choice is yours at the end of the day and to answer your question I believe if you have too much rock it will reduce the circulation in your system and also it will trap a lot more waste which Will Tribue to pour water quality.

Great way to put it. Glad you mentioned that because both of those are going to be an issue the way it is now.

Def an outdated idea as we normally say 1 lbs per gallon. It'll give you more swimming room and be just fine.
If you have a sump you can easily move the rock in there and still have any possible benefit that it would bring to the table.

It`s hard to go by the pound system. Your different types of rock are different weights. A tank full of 200 lbs tonga rock might fill up a tank while 200 lbs of Fiji rock might on be 1/2 full. I have 200 lbs of rock from the Mediterranean and I have less than half. The thing about too much rock is that if you get a fish like a tang then it hampers their free swimming style. They need lots of space to swim.

It needs to be re arranged and I really should take some out. Atm I have two clowns two gobies and a dwarf angel. Is there any chance of it hurting them in anyway if I start pulling that rock out and re arranging it?

I hate this corner tank...

It`s hard to go by the pound system. Your different types of rock are different weights. A tank full of 200 lbs tonga rock might fill up a tank while 200 lbs of Fiji rock might on be 1/2 full. I have 200 lbs of rock from the Mediterranean and I have less than half. The thing about too much rock is that if you get a fish like a tang then it hampers their free swimming style. They need lots of space to swim.

I have to agree with this as I have 200+ pounds of rock and barely put a dent in my 90 . it's not always about how much there is . I have fairly heavy rock I also have good circulation in and out of the rocks ,
img_3378207_0_b1028a7ec94a8ff515eead0e47c98f64.jpg

my very first tank I had was a 37g bow front
it looked as if I had tons of rock . it did but the rock was so light I about packed the tank with only 20 lbs of rock , this is what I consider jamb packed almost wall to wall rock , but I still managed to make it work (y)

2.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473613399.218382.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473613414.571600.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473613425.476853.jpg

I re arranged all the rocks and this is the best I could do as far as swimming room without taking any out. Does that look like enough room? Or should I take some of it out

the amount of rock you have there doesn't look bad at all , as for placement you want to be sure none of the fish will knock it over that can be tragic . I get nervous seeing balancing rock , I have good reason I had a rock crash through one of my tanks not a fun thing looking back.

? lets hope that doesn't happen. I have that crappy putty stuff on it. Thanks for giving me something else to worry about!

Back
Top Bottom