To skim or not to skim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jones1483

Aquarium Advice Activist
Honest answers members, 75 gal tank twenty gal water changes every 14 days. How much will it effect my tank if I don't run a skimmer?

Honestly, it depends on your bioload, and other fish husbandry practices. Are you running a reef, or fowlr?

I'd still use a skimmer. It's such a useful tool in our tanks. It removes organic compounds before it gets a chance to turn into nitrates. There really is no reason not to use one.

I have a fowlr. My nitrates are at 40 ppm with the skimmer running. Ain't sure it does it's job right though only getting half a cup full of skim mate every two weeks. Since I shut my skimmer off a few days ago my water is as clear as it has looked.

i have a fish only without a skimmer and my water is always crystal clear.i have a 75 but i have small fish.two clowns ,lawn mower blenny and a needle nose hawk fish.i plan on two banjia cardinals and a foxface and then i think thats enough.i take out 8 gal every two weeks and my parimeters are always perfect.i think the emperor 400 is a great filter and cheap if u ask me

I have that same filter. I am going to run mine tank without the skimmer until my next water change to see what the nitrates do. I use tap water in my rank but I may start going to a community spring and using the spring water to see if the nitrates drop using that water

i have well water but never tested it.i did put in a poly filter and that takes out all kinds of crap and it will turn curtain colors from what its removing.in my case it was copper and it turned blue

Why not run it if you have it? That doesn't make sense. It's oxygenating water, and even if it's only removing a little it's still removing. You also don't have any corals that would benefit from those nutrients.

Not running it cause I am new and wasn't sure what to do. I got it running now and it seems to being doing better after days of air adjustments

I have a 180g FO and a 90g reef. The 180g has been up about a year. It's a semi-aggressive tank. LFS told me I didn't need a skimmer on a FO. I was doing water changes every 3 weeks (per his direction) and hitting 100 ppm on nitrates between changes. Also had cloudiness issues. Switched to a different lfs (who I ended up buying the 90g reef from a month ago) and they recommended a skimmer. Now I'm seeing 15 ppm nitrates between changes. And the 90g has had 0 ppm since I started it. So, I guess I've become a big fan of skimmers. I have also come to understand that the cleaner the tank, the less that gets skimmed (which makes perfect sense).

I would always run a quality protein skimmer on anything 40 gallons or more. If your skimmer isn't producing, get a better skimmer.

I have never used one ..
I run an algae scrubber,,I don't thnk a skimmer does anything to bring down trates

I agree with FTMMWS, a skimmer won't being nitrates down, but it will help keep them from accumulating in the first place. :)

FTMMWS said:
I have never used one ..
I run an algae scrubber,,I don't thnk a skimmer does anything to bring down trates

Sorry for the confusion. I know PWCs are what lower the nitrates. I did mean that a skimmer will help keep them down.

Back
Top Bottom