Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 sounds like ich. Best to try and save the remaining fish while u still can

I still don't think it is Ich, but am going to get the Chromies and QT with Hyposalinity. It can't hurt ...

Just wondering why you don't think that? All of the symptoms you are describing sound like that of ich. If not ich what do you think it is?

This fish had been in the previous owners tank for months, with no sign of anything. I had it in a holding tank for over two months with no signs of anything. Then for a couple days, after being added to the new 240g, it had a few white spots that looked like Ich, but it was only like four or five total and they were only present in the morning. Ich should not disappear and reappear every day . This weekend, the Angel and one Chromis had a few tiny white patches, but it looked cottony (like fungus), not like pimples (Ich). By tiny, I am talking maybe the size of 3 or 4 typical Ich spots...not big patches.

Even though you had him in a holding tank for two months, the move two the 240 could have done it. At this point best to treat

Almost all of the time, not always, if a fish has something, it will show within two months in QT. It was in a 45g with a Lionfish. IMO, that should have stressed it more than being put into a 240g.

I understand Ich pretty well and have given advice on it many, many times in the Sick Fish section here. I've also dealt with it in prior tanks. This acted nothing like anything I have seen or read about Ich. Ich should not come and go like this did. Ich should not also have white fluffy specs. Ich, if it is going to kill a fish, should cause some degree of stress to a fish (loss of appetite, rapid breathing, etc).

Bottom line, it ends up a mystery unless my Chromis end up with Ich. Either way, they will be treated with hypo and the tank will go fallow. That will hopefully clear things up moving forward.

Very strange indeed. I had the same issues with my dogface puffer. It would look great, then later would have spots on it. This went on or a few week an finally decided I'm not taking any chances. I put all fish in other tanks and treated them with hypo. Left the display fallow for 9 weeks (went on vacation, otherwise it would've been 8). After that, put them in the tank and haven't had problems since. I keep a close eye always on that puffer though. He was separated from the others while in hypo because it turned out he had some internal parasites too. He ate, but never gained weight which added to the stress I imagine. Good luck with your process.

Have you thought about adding a Majestic Angelfish? I saw a small one but already colored up for $69.99 at a store in culver city. Very pretty fish.

Yes...I want to try two large Angels. If I had to choose today, it would be a Scribbled and a Majestic, but the Scribbled might end up a Queen. I will add them at the same time, so I will see what is available at the time.

Both the Bicolor and Green Chromis are in QT now. The Bicolor looked terrible today and this looks like Ich. I am thinking that the Green Chromis might be the carrier from my original 75g. Either way, the 240 is going fallow now. I'm not happy, but there is no other option.

Looking for feedback, as I have only done reefs in much smaller tanks and have never used power compacts... Should this 5' setup be enough to keep Zoas and mushrooms alive? I was thinking of throwing a few frags in just to add some character to the liverock. Don't see ever doing anything like LPS or SPS (not on this tank at least).

image-1014116707.jpg

image-1133366413.jpg

Of all the types of lighting I've used I like PC bulbs the least, they seem to have the shortest lifespan at a high price point for the bulbs, but if you've already got them laying around then give it a shot, you should be able to keep some lower light softies, I don't think they'll reproduce to quickly but they should do ok

So how long are the PC bulbs good for?

I'm considering getting a couple LED to throw over the areas I want softies eventually, but would rather put $200 into fish first. $40 to replace these works temporarily.

I have no clue TBH. Never tried to keep anything other than fish in freshwater under them, and I don't think it had any effect on the paint on all that gravel! Lol... God I hate looking back on those days... I'd assume that it would be similar to T5HO, but that is only a guess.

The ones I used were in a coralife fixture over a planted tank but usually around 6-7 months old the bulbs would just burn out, and then I'd have to make the trip to that fish place for a $18 replacement 13" bulb, I ended up replacing it with a finex led I found on CL

I'm not sure how old these are, but I'm thinking of maybe trying what I have, put the frags on one side and see how it goes. My Birthday is in January, so maybe I will get an LED or two then. I'm just seeing some cool zoas, Ricordias and mushrooms and think it would be cool to do a few. Maybe turn the holding tank into a reef once the 240 is full of fish.

Time for an update as there has been an interesting change of events...

To cut a long story somewhat short, I inherited/rescued a tank full of fish from a local guy who was moving and had to get rid of his fish to break down his tank to sell. He insisted I take them for free, as he needed them gone right away. I ended up with a couple that I am not going to keep...a Lyretail Grouper. (about 12") and a Picasso Trigger (about 6-7"). Those are going to a LFS tomorrow. The fish I hope to keep are a 12" Engineer Goby, a Djardini Sailfin Tang and a regular Sailfin Tang (both about 7-8", thick and have been paired for almost two years), a Toby Puffer and a medium Porcupine Puffer. There was also a big brittle star.

Right now, the Grouper, Trigger, Brittlestar and Goby are in the 240g. As I said, the Grouper and Trigger are going to the LFS tomorrow. Cool fish, but won't work for my long term plans.

The Tangs and Toby are in my 45g that is a QT/Holding tank. I'm doing daily water changes and using Prime to help with Ammonia/nitrites. They seem to be doing okay...eating fine.

The Puffer (Simon as named by this guys daughters) is in a 30g in my son's room. Doing daily water changes there too. He's doing good as well. Huge personality.

Once I get the Grouper and Trigger out of the 240g tomorrow, I plan to move the Tangs and the Toby into the 240 and the Porc into the 45g for a while, in hopes of not overloading the bio filtration any more than necessary.

The kicker is going to be the Ich factor. I had the two Chromis in there and one appeared to have something at times. It came and went, so I'm still not 100% sure what it was. I pulled both out and was going to leave the tank fallow. I am considering hypo for the DT if it comes to that, but time will tell...

Back
Top Bottom