Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They were originally in a custom 400g . He sold that and put them in a 120 about a month ago. All of them are thick and healthy.

Free is good. :) I was considering a Sailfin and Porcupine Puffer in the original gameplan, so that was a score. The two Sailfins are kinda cool just because they get along and they are big, so I will scratch another Tang off the original gameplan list to accommodate these two. The Desjardini is gorgeous when all puffed up. I'm just hoping they all make it and that I can add other fish later that will not get harassed. This is not ideal stocking order, but we will see how it goes.

Well, the sad news of the day was that the Sailfin did not make it. When this guy was trying to catch one if the other fish, the Grouper knocked a big chunk of liverock over onto this Tang and it muscled/wriggled out from under it. I think damage was done. It seemed okay, but was not moving around like the Desjardini was. It really stinks to lose that Tang.

I did get the Grouper to the LFS after quite the struggle to get it out. Looked like I took a shower by the time I was done.

In an unexpected move, I decided to keep the Huma Huma Trigger...at least for now. I still think I am going to get a Blue Jaw down the road, but my original plans always change when a fish grabs me. :)

I did a 25g water change earlier and am going to add the Desjardini and the Valentini into the 240g tonight and move the Porc into the slightly larger QT tank.

I just realized that it is later than I thought it was. Looks like the fish are tucked in for the night, so I guess they go in tomorrow. :)

I got everyone into the tank yesterday. I added the Porcupine Puffer too. I figured keeping him in the smaller tanks was going to cause stress. Threw some shrimp in this morning and everyone (Toby puffer, Huma Huma and Porc) went crazy. The Desjardini Tang is still hanging out in the rocks most of the time, but I have seen it come out a couple times. Any movement in the room and it dives for the rocks .

I also added a couple of Zoa frags (King Midas and Flamin' Punk Rockers) to the island on the right side of the tank. I might add a few more basic corals/mushrooms over time, but nothing too difficult. Eventually, the 45g is going to become a reef in our bedroom and it will all get moved into that.

image-2494152688.jpg

Looking good. Glad the majority of the fish made it. I think I lost my naso die to a falling rock,it happens.....

The rock on the Tang was due to the Grouper pushing over a good sized rock. It might have been something else, but that was my guess. It stinks, but it happens.

The Desjardini hiding is hopefully just getting used to its new surroundings. I'm hoping it does not do this permanently. I want to add more Tangs, but am wondering how that will go with such a big one in there first. There is another Craigslist person breaking down a tank with two 6" Hippos for $50. Too bad it is not a month later.

Started another thread on it, but the Tang and Trigger have Ich , so I've decided to do Hyposalinity in the DT . Should be interesting as I have never done it outside a QT. Planning to start swapping stwater for fresh today after work. Need to get the zoa frags, Brittlestar and trochus snail out into my holding tank first.

Also, realized that I might as well order an LED 120W Dimmable setup from eBay to use over the holding tank for now and will eventually put it over the "Island " in my 240g, as I may use that for frags until I get the future bedroom reef going. Should arrive tomorrow. Have heard great things about these, so will see how that works out too.

I figured it was time for an update, since most of my Hyposalinity posts have been in another thread...

So far the hypo in my DT is going okay. Some good, some bad. The good being that the Desjardinni a Tang, Engineer Goby and Huma Huma Trigger seem to be spot free and doing great. The bad is that this week I lost both puffers. The Valentini never showed signs of everything and was found dead one day. Total surprise. The Porcupine Puffer had Ich pretty bad and was the last of the group to show signs. He seemed to be on the upswing and clearing up and yesterday morning was puffed up when I woke up and would not swim around.

I'm watching the survivors and plan to start bringing the salinity back up in a couple weeks if they remain spotless.

I have been doing water changes a lot the last couple days, as the skimmer is not skimming much, sometimes nothing and the nitrates have started climbing up between 40-80 (closer to 40, just slightly darker).

I was at a new fish store coming back from visiting my grandmother and they had an Orange Spot Rabbitfish. Guess what's in the holding tank now? :) So much for gameplans...

I will try to post a better pic if it ever stops moving. Meet Doc...

image-3174505540.jpg

Just recently saw one of them at a nearby lfs, beautiful fish that may have to go on my 150 stock wish list

Nice pickup! I'm with you on the not sticking to game plans part lol as soon as I see something nice I want it :p

I actually had this or a Decorated Rabbitfish on my list, but was planning on getting it way further down the stocking list. I have seen them before, but they were kinda faded. This one is vibrant and I just had to grab it. It is eating and seems fairly settled in already.

Well, after what feels like forever, the 8 week long fallow period is almost done. I am starting to get this tank back up and running. The last weekend of the month makes. 8 weeks fallow, so hopefully whatever it was that killed everything but the Picasso Trigger has died out.

I tested nitrates just for fun and it was dark orange after a minute. Never seen that color before. :)

I am taking out about 75% of the water today and will replace with straight RO. Then I will do another big water change in a couple weekends and add salt if the trates are looking a little better.

Back
Top Bottom