Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm keeping it at .010 in hopes of keeping some of the BB alive. I meant I'm starting off using RO (not tap), then RO after. I normally use tap initially since there will be a big water change later.

Sorry for the confusion. :) I knew what I meant. :)

It will be interesting to see how much has survived, if any, over the last several weeks. Looking at about 12-13 weeks of hypo.

From what I've read I understand you are putting your display tank through hypo? Forgive me if I'm wrong and have MI's read something.

I recently did the same thing and my display was in hypo for about 3 months. Biggest mistake of my life. I wish I had just removed the fish and out them in another tank with a copper medication. The hypo appeared to be working but came back after I raised up the salinity. The hypo also had a detrimental affect on the live rock. It was leaching phosphates so bad the D&D test kit couldn't even give an accurate reading. Even with phosphate removal media and water changes I couldn't keep it down. Nitrates were also a problem. It got so bad I have now removed all live rock except one piece to try and keep some sort of filtration going and left it outside to dry for a week. I don't know what I plan on doing with it but I'm cautious about using it again. I'm not in an awkward position where I have a half filled tank so water changes are made easier and a make shift filter while dosing copper.

Sorry hope this didn't sound like I just hijacked your thread but just wanted to warn you what hypo or low salinity can do to live rock. Hope this isn't the case in your situation.

I am sorry to hear it did not go well for you. I am not sure why hypo would cause all those problems though. How low were you keeping it?

I checked my nitrate and phosphate just now, after doing about a 50% water change over the weekend (still adding new water as my RO slowly put water out) and my trates were only 10 and phosphates were .25 I will keep checking to see if those rise over the next few days.

I really had no option to QT in another tank. All the fish I started with were too big. It would have needed at least a couple 40s. I only ended up saving the Picasso Trigger, which I had not planned on keeping, so overall not a great success. It was something other than Ich that killed everything and I still have yet to find anyone that can ID what that was.

I had a similar issue in my 125 and I concluded marine velvet as it spread very fast

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These fish started off with Ich. I'm 100% sure that was what it was. Once that cleared up, they started dying. The puffers with no signs of anything, but the Tang had strange white streaks/markings that almost looked like something internal. I've posted it, shown pics to various LFS and everyone was stumped.

This is what it looked like...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395082509.154044.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395082552.055245.jpg

WOW, that looks imilar to the tank wipeout I had a few years ago. The discoloration part that is, myt fish never showed any signs of ich ever but within like 4 days every fish was dead only some showing the discoloration. I also concluded velvet....

Hope you do better this time around. :)

I hope this next round goes better too. It is heartbreaking to see fish die, then two months of looking at a tank with no fish. I figure I will add a few Chromis and see how they do...probably early April.

The corals I've been adding to my holding tank have been a nice distraction though. All but the recent purple/green Favia seem to be doing good. The Orange Spot Rabbitfish still looks good and is turning out to be quite the character. When I put my hand in to attach the Nori clip, it darts over and starts pecking at my hand/wrist. Freaked me out at first due to the poisonous fins, but I just let it do it's thing and figure I will probably pay the price eventually. I do want to get him into the 240 eventually.

Well, the fallow 8 week wait is over! I've started adding salt this week to bring the salinity up from hypo. I'm hoping the combo of fallow/hypo has knocked out whatever was in there. I threw in some ammonia as well to see how the BB has done and it went from about 2ppm to zero in just over a day. I figure the 4 ppm trick is overkill with a tank this size and I will only be adding a fish at a time, so the BB should be able to handle it.

I've got a busy weekend ahead, so I might wait to add the Rabbitfish next weekend. I'm kinda surprised, but I've had zero interest in my Picasso Trigger on Craigslist, so I might hand it over to a LFS next weekend for credit.

On a side note, the purple/green Favia that I was worried about has taken a turn for the better and is looking much better. I'm getting a 50g corner tank tomorrow, so I can't wait to get that up and transfer everything over from my holding tank...

Just a quick update...sold the Picasso today...picked up a Yellow Tang for $16 at Reefers Garage in Vista, CA. I had never been, but another cool small place with great corals and great prices to match. I'm very excited to have found them.

The Rabitfish is not in the 240g yet, but I should be able to get him in this week. Lost one of the Blue/Green Chromis, but it did not look great from the start. There is another one that did not look great, but the others seem to be doing fine.

Typically the smaller ones go for about $25-30 at the LFS. I've got three places now that I found on Craigslist that are much smaller scale. This place was in a row of old garages and you would never see it from the street. The whole place is about the size of my living room/dining room. Lots of corals though. The other place I went to a couple weekends ago is out of someone's garage, but he has way more than most LFS do. Low overhead equals low prices and that just makes way more sense to me. :)

Typically the smaller ones go for about $25-30 at the LFS. I've got three places now that I found on Craigslist that are much smaller scale. This place was in a row of old garages and you would never see it from the street. The whole place is about the size of my living room/dining room. Lots of corals though. The other place I went to a couple weekends ago is out of someone's garage, but he has way more than most LFS do. Low overhead equals low prices and that just makes way more sense to me. :)

Wish I lived in SoCal with access to lfs like this. The ones I have access to have slim pickings, nothing exotic( have to go to shows like reefapalooza), and are greatly overpriced for what they do have. Mostly zoas(bleh) and basic color lps/sps. I find better corals on Craigslist.

Well...the Yellow Tang was doing great, eating like crazy ( up until yesterday) and coming out of hiding a lot more and then this morning, I find it just kinda lying against the inside of the PVC. I'm not holding my breath on it being alive when I get home.

Well...the Yellow Tang was doing great, eating like crazy ( up until yesterday) and coming out of hiding a lot more and then this morning, I find it just kinda lying against the inside of the PVC. I'm not holding my breath on it being alive when I get home.

I live in SoCal too and I've heard of reefers garage. Should I hit it up?

I have only been there one time, but was impressed with the coral selection. He can also order any fish you want and will be less than your local store. If you go, do not be scared away by the exterior of this place. :)

Out in LA/OC areas, Ellis Aquatics is great (Compton). He has a converted garage with a big coral selection and some fish, but can also order whatever you want for less. I got a five head Aussie Duncan for $20 and Blue /Green Chromis for $3 each.

It has been a long, long time, but I finally got a couple fish added. I want to see how they do after the tank being fallow since mid-January. I added the Orange Spot Rabbitfish that has been in my holding tank for almost two months and the surviving Green Chromis tonight. Also got the monster blue Brittlestar in as well.

I am hoping to get either Tangs (mimic Eibli, Blonde Naso and a Yellow) or two of the Angels (considering a Potters and a juvenile Majestic) later this month. I can't decide which set to go with first.

I've also got my 60g cube coming together nicely. Can't wait to move the frags in. I started a thread in the Members Tanks section for that build.

Back
Top Bottom