Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #121
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure how you buy fish in Palm Springs but what I started doing is tell my LFS which fish I want from this wholesaler based on its list: http://www.qualitymarine.com/Products/Fish/Wild/Angels
It's supposed to be hi tech facility. However, their prices are reflective of that too but worth it.
If need be I can put you in contact with a saltwater fish store owner in South Bay Area and he will take care of you.
Good luck with your build.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problem out here is that there are two LFS. Really nice people at both , but prices are probably 20% higher. (often more) than what the exact same fish would be in Orange County and there is usually not a great selection to choose from. They can order fish though. I found a guy on Craigslist that gets fish direct from the distributers and just adds a few bucks , so he is less than the OC stores. I'm going to try him out. For example...a Blue Jaw Trigger out here would be around $55. Same in OC would be $40. I'm getting one from him for $30.

What I really want to try sometime is buying through another guy from CL that used to be a distributer. You have to buy a box of fish and it comes straight to LAX from wherever in the world. The fish are less than wholesale and he charges $50 for his cut. Shipping is like $150 a box. Fish still come out way lower, you just have to buy in the ballpark of 15-20 ( can be a variety). Does corals too. He sends lists out every week of what is available. Its scary because most fish are only a few bucks...Coral Beauty $3, Adult Koran $8, etc...you just have to add those other expenses into the calculation.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

todd could you pm me the link to that guy?? i want to see if i cant put an order together.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #124
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's a shame I'm on the east coast
Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
todd could you pm me the link to that guy?? i want to see if i cant put an order together.
You have to go to LAX to get the box though. It is literally coming from somewhere like Fiji, he gets the box and you get the box from him .

PM me with your email and I will forward you the lists that he sends out every few days. It's really pretty amazing what the overseas places sell the fish for to the distributers over here . The Red Sea list has Purple Tangs, Sohal Tangs, etc for like $40. I figure add $15-20 for the additional costs ( shipping, customs , his cut ) and it's still a whole lot less than any LFS.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

oh without a doubt. ive seen the pricing list for the LFS i used to work at. its aggravating to say the least. (why is a $100 fish only costing the store $15-20 bucks?!?!)
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is what it is looking like after last night. Not the best pic, as there are a lot more holes/caves than this shows. Still have a few more pieces of rock and more sand to add later today ..,

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4138518726.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	209362
Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
oh without a doubt. ive seen the pricing list for the LFS i used to work at. its aggravating to say the least. (why is a $100 fish only costing the store $15-20 bucks?!?!)
You have to factor in the cost of running a store , paying rent, insurance , employee wages, electricity , utilities, maintenance and losses from fish that die that you make nothing off of. I'm sure all of that adds up quickly and their profit is not as much as one might think.

From my side though, if I could get a few people locally to go in on a box, split everything up , it would be a tremendous savings. No overhead and almost no middleman. When I get a reef going, I am doing this for corals for sure . Plan to get what I want and just sell the rest. That's easier than selling a bunch of fish , or I would do the same with the fish.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

idk why but that tank looks insanely large lol. even moreso than the 240g would imply
Old 11-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is 8x2x2 with about 300 lbs of rock.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com