Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a good build :) I wish I could do a 240 but I don't think I could afford it right now. Can't wait to see the tank progress

It's been frustrating so far. Got it set up then the first one cracked when replacing the top brace. Get a new one and get a bunch of free fish and they all come down with some mystery ailment that I still show people pics of and nobody has a clue what it was. It's been fallow since mid-January, so I'm hoping for some better luck this time around.

I think that the good of all of this was that had these things not happened, I probably would not have set up a reef tank yet. I'm almost as excited about that right now as this tank. My last reef tank was a while ago, back when everything was not online and so readily available. You added whatever the LFS had at the time and there was not endless availability a click away.

A little over a week in for the Orange Spot Rabbitfish and Chromis and both are looking good. I had crazy amounts of algae growing on a few rocks and a big portion of the back wall, from where sunlight hits during the day. The Rabbitfish picked it clean in the first few days. It is amazing how much he ate.

I am leaning towards adding Angels next, before the Tangs. I want a juvenile Majestic, some kind of dwarf (too many decisions, maybe a Multicolor if I can find one) and I am considering a Potters, although I've heard they are tough to keep.

Potters arnt that bad feed a good quality food mix made for angels i had mine for 14 years Just add it last as they can be snotty. Mine passed about a month ago and im thinking of adding another one. Waiting for another juvi though.

I got lucky with him i got it when it was about 1 inch and it grew to about 5 inches never touched any of my coral either

A little over a week in for the Orange Spot Rabbitfish and Chromis and both are looking good. I had crazy amounts of algae growing on a few rocks and a big portion of the back wall, from where sunlight hits during the day. The Rabbitfish picked it clean in the first few days. It is amazing how much he ate.

I am leaning towards adding Angels next, before the Tangs. I want a juvenile Majestic, some kind of dwarf (too many decisions, maybe a Multicolor if I can find one) and I am considering a Potters, although I've heard they are tough to keep.

blue zoo has both in stock a tad pricy though

blue zoo has both in stock a tad pricy though

Thankfully, I have found a couple people that sell corals and fish for about half retail prices (at least for stores in my area). They can get whatever I want as long as the suppliers have it when they go.

I got a text today from one saying his supplier had a juvenile Queen Angel. I almost went with it, but decided to wait for a juvenile Majestic (which are apparently more rare). I'm considering a male Blue Jaw Trigger or possibly a mimic Eibli Tang for this weekend...not sure yet...having both tanks starting up, I'm also considering getting something for the 60g cube. I've got someone that owes me some money, so I think I will be making a few purchases once that cash comes in. I overthink this stuff too much and kill myself trying to make decisions. :)

Ended up with a juvenile Blue Face Angel for $50. I put it in my holding tank and so far, so good. It is eating frozen Mysis and nibbled on some nori this morning. Very curious fish too. If I walk up to the tank, it will dart behind the rocks, but immediately comes back out and will actually come right up to where I am. I'm going to watch it for about 3-4 weeks and then add it to my 240g. I will see if I can get a good picture later today. Can't wait to watch the transformation. It is amazing how much they change in appearance over time.

Watch it when it gets older they can get territorial when there the largest fish in the tank Other wise an awesome fish!

Watch it when it gets older they can get territorial when there the largest fish in the tank Other wise an awesome fish!

The only other fish that will be comparable in size is the Blonde Naso Tang that I plan to add and the Yellow Spot Rabbitfish that is in there now. I'm hoping if they grow up together they might all get along. I guess we will see.

The Blue Face is still doing great. Eats like crazy and comes up to the front when someone walks up to the tank now.

I found someone on Craigslist selling a a Yellow Tang and decided to grab that yesterday. It was in a 15g nano and the guy realized that it was too small. I added it into my QT/Holding tank yesterday. It immediately went over to the Angel and they started sizing each other up. Both do not appear to back down, taking equal time to confront one another. I am going to have to keep an eye on that relationship over the next few weeks.
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2014-06/CD579913-3B00-43B9-8F18-9B19290D0BEC.jpg

Trust me, I've seen worse. I've had customers demand a hippo tang for their 12g edge... Despite trying to talk them out of it, I can't refuse a sale. Luckily, most of them come to their senses after a while.

Wow a yellow in a 15..... You should find that lfs and smack someone.

He said he won it at a raffle at a LFS out of our area. He had what looked to be a 40g tank that it started off in. He is selling that, so he moved it into the 15g. I'm glad he knew that it wasn't going to work and decided to sell it sooner than later. It's a good looking fish. I'm just hoping it gets along with the Angel long enough to get both into the 240g.

At least it was not...
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2014-05/F68B300D-A417-4769-8344-ED0E0D0F63FB.png
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2014-05/89ABA601-A09F-412B-A6A5-6A51DD9CAE0C.png

Back
Top Bottom