Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking for feedback, as I have only done reefs in much smaller tanks and have never used power compacts... Should this 5' setup be enough to keep Zoas and mushrooms alive? I was thinking of throwing a few frags in just to add some character to the liverock. Don't see ever doing anything like LPS or SPS (not on this tank at least).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1014116707.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	212261

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1133366413.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	212262

Old 12-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #192
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

How deep is the tank?

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #193
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Of all the types of lighting I've used I like PC bulbs the least, they seem to have the shortest lifespan at a high price point for the bulbs, but if you've already got them laying around then give it a shot, you should be able to keep some lower light softies, I don't think they'll reproduce to quickly but they should do ok
Old 12-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
How deep is the tank?
It is 8x2x2...has a 3" sand bed and the light will be about 7-8" off the water.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #195
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You could probably get away with keeping zoas in the top of the tank easily. I'm no PC expert, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #196
Aquarium Advice Addict

So how long are the PC bulbs good for?

I'm considering getting a couple LED to throw over the areas I want softies eventually, but would rather put $200 into fish first. $40 to replace these works temporarily.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #197
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have no clue TBH. Never tried to keep anything other than fish in freshwater under them, and I don't think it had any effect on the paint on all that gravel! Lol... God I hate looking back on those days... I'd assume that it would be similar to T5HO, but that is only a guess.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #198
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The ones I used were in a coralife fixture over a planted tank but usually around 6-7 months old the bulbs would just burn out, and then I'd have to make the trip to that fish place for a $18 replacement 13" bulb, I ended up replacing it with a finex led I found on CL
Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #199
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure how old these are, but I'm thinking of maybe trying what I have, put the frags on one side and see how it goes. My Birthday is in January, so maybe I will get an LED or two then. I'm just seeing some cool zoas, Ricordias and mushrooms and think it would be cool to do a few. Maybe turn the holding tank into a reef once the 240 is full of fish.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #200
Aquarium Advice Addict

Time for an update as there has been an interesting change of events...

To cut a long story somewhat short, I inherited/rescued a tank full of fish from a local guy who was moving and had to get rid of his fish to break down his tank to sell. He insisted I take them for free, as he needed them gone right away. I ended up with a couple that I am not going to keep...a Lyretail Grouper. (about 12") and a Picasso Trigger (about 6-7"). Those are going to a LFS tomorrow. The fish I hope to keep are a 12" Engineer Goby, a Djardini Sailfin Tang and a regular Sailfin Tang (both about 7-8", thick and have been paired for almost two years), a Toby Puffer and a medium Porcupine Puffer. There was also a big brittle star.

Right now, the Grouper, Trigger, Brittlestar and Goby are in the 240g. As I said, the Grouper and Trigger are going to the LFS tomorrow. Cool fish, but won't work for my long term plans.

The Tangs and Toby are in my 45g that is a QT/Holding tank. I'm doing daily water changes and using Prime to help with Ammonia/nitrites. They seem to be doing okay...eating fine.

The Puffer (Simon as named by this guys daughters) is in a 30g in my son's room. Doing daily water changes there too. He's doing good as well. Huge personality.

Once I get the Grouper and Trigger out of the 240g tomorrow, I plan to move the Tangs and the Toby into the 240 and the Porc into the 45g for a while, in hopes of not overloading the bio filtration any more than necessary.

The kicker is going to be the Ich factor. I had the two Chromis in there and one appeared to have something at times. It came and went, so I'm still not 100% sure what it was. I pulled both out and was going to leave the tank fallow. I am considering hypo for the DT if it comes to that, but time will tell...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com