Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #211
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldn't worry about the tang hiding . Mine is and always was a big hider.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #212
Aquarium Advice Addict

The rock on the Tang was due to the Grouper pushing over a good sized rock. It might have been something else, but that was my guess. It stinks, but it happens.

The Desjardini hiding is hopefully just getting used to its new surroundings. I'm hoping it does not do this permanently. I want to add more Tangs, but am wondering how that will go with such a big one in there first. There is another Craigslist person breaking down a tank with two 6" Hippos for $50. Too bad it is not a month later.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #213
Aquarium Advice Addict

Started another thread on it, but the Tang and Trigger have Ich , so I've decided to do Hyposalinity in the DT . Should be interesting as I have never done it outside a QT. Planning to start swapping stwater for fresh today after work. Need to get the zoa frags, Brittlestar and trochus snail out into my holding tank first.

Also, realized that I might as well order an LED 120W Dimmable setup from eBay to use over the holding tank for now and will eventually put it over the "Island " in my 240g, as I may use that for frags until I get the future bedroom reef going. Should arrive tomorrow. Have heard great things about these, so will see how that works out too.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:08 AM   #214
Aquarium Advice Addict

I figured it was time for an update, since most of my Hyposalinity posts have been in another thread...

So far the hypo in my DT is going okay. Some good, some bad. The good being that the Desjardinni a Tang, Engineer Goby and Huma Huma Trigger seem to be spot free and doing great. The bad is that this week I lost both puffers. The Valentini never showed signs of everything and was found dead one day. Total surprise. The Porcupine Puffer had Ich pretty bad and was the last of the group to show signs. He seemed to be on the upswing and clearing up and yesterday morning was puffed up when I woke up and would not swim around.

I'm watching the survivors and plan to start bringing the salinity back up in a couple weeks if they remain spotless.

I have been doing water changes a lot the last couple days, as the skimmer is not skimming much, sometimes nothing and the nitrates have started climbing up between 40-80 (closer to 40, just slightly darker).
Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #215
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was at a new fish store coming back from visiting my grandmother and they had an Orange Spot Rabbitfish. Guess what's in the holding tank now? So much for gameplans...

I will try to post a better pic if it ever stops moving. Meet Doc...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3174505540.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	217917
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 AM   #216
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just recently saw one of them at a nearby lfs, beautiful fish that may have to go on my 150 stock wish list
Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #217
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice pickup! I'm with you on the not sticking to game plans part lol as soon as I see something nice I want it :p
Old 01-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #218
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually had this or a Decorated Rabbitfish on my list, but was planning on getting it way further down the stocking list. I have seen them before, but they were kinda faded. This one is vibrant and I just had to grab it. It is eating and seems fairly settled in already.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #219
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, after what feels like forever, the 8 week long fallow period is almost done. I am starting to get this tank back up and running. The last weekend of the month makes. 8 weeks fallow, so hopefully whatever it was that killed everything but the Picasso Trigger has died out.

I tested nitrates just for fun and it was dark orange after a minute. Never seen that color before.

I am taking out about 75% of the water today and will replace with straight RO. Then I will do another big water change in a couple weekends and add salt if the trates are looking a little better.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #220
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wont the straight ro kill Inverts and the live rock?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com