Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #221
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm keeping it at .010 in hopes of keeping some of the BB alive. I meant I'm starting off using RO (not tap), then RO after. I normally use tap initially since there will be a big water change later.

Sorry for the confusion. I knew what I meant.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #222
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL, all good. Just wanted to make sure.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #223
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will be interesting to see how much has survived, if any, over the last several weeks. Looking at about 12-13 weeks of hypo.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #224
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From what I've read I understand you are putting your display tank through hypo? Forgive me if I'm wrong and have MI's read something.

I recently did the same thing and my display was in hypo for about 3 months. Biggest mistake of my life. I wish I had just removed the fish and out them in another tank with a copper medication. The hypo appeared to be working but came back after I raised up the salinity. The hypo also had a detrimental affect on the live rock. It was leaching phosphates so bad the D&D test kit couldn't even give an accurate reading. Even with phosphate removal media and water changes I couldn't keep it down. Nitrates were also a problem. It got so bad I have now removed all live rock except one piece to try and keep some sort of filtration going and left it outside to dry for a week. I don't know what I plan on doing with it but I'm cautious about using it again. I'm not in an awkward position where I have a half filled tank so water changes are made easier and a make shift filter while dosing copper.

Sorry hope this didn't sound like I just hijacked your thread but just wanted to warn you what hypo or low salinity can do to live rock. Hope this isn't the case in your situation.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #225
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am sorry to hear it did not go well for you. I am not sure why hypo would cause all those problems though. How low were you keeping it?

I checked my nitrate and phosphate just now, after doing about a 50% water change over the weekend (still adding new water as my RO slowly put water out) and my trates were only 10 and phosphates were .25 I will keep checking to see if those rise over the next few days.

I really had no option to QT in another tank. All the fish I started with were too big. It would have needed at least a couple 40s. I only ended up saving the Picasso Trigger, which I had not planned on keeping, so overall not a great success. It was something other than Ich that killed everything and I still have yet to find anyone that can ID what that was.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #226
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had a similar issue in my 125 and I concluded marine velvet as it spread very fast

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #227
Aquarium Advice Addict

These fish started off with Ich. I'm 100% sure that was what it was. Once that cleared up, they started dying. The puffers with no signs of anything, but the Tang had strange white streaks/markings that almost looked like something internal. I've posted it, shown pics to various LFS and everyone was stumped.

This is what it looked like...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395082509.154044.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	228556Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395082552.055245.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	228557
Old 03-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #228
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

WOW, that looks imilar to the tank wipeout I had a few years ago. The discoloration part that is, myt fish never showed any signs of ich ever but within like 4 days every fish was dead only some showing the discoloration. I also concluded velvet....

Hope you do better this time around.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:34 AM   #229
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope this next round goes better too. It is heartbreaking to see fish die, then two months of looking at a tank with no fish. I figure I will add a few Chromis and see how they do...probably early April.

The corals I've been adding to my holding tank have been a nice distraction though. All but the recent purple/green Favia seem to be doing good. The Orange Spot Rabbitfish still looks good and is turning out to be quite the character. When I put my hand in to attach the Nori clip, it darts over and starts pecking at my hand/wrist. Freaked me out at first due to the poisonous fins, but I just let it do it's thing and figure I will probably pay the price eventually. I do want to get him into the 240 eventually.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #230
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the fallow 8 week wait is over! I've started adding salt this week to bring the salinity up from hypo. I'm hoping the combo of fallow/hypo has knocked out whatever was in there. I threw in some ammonia as well to see how the BB has done and it went from about 2ppm to zero in just over a day. I figure the 4 ppm trick is overkill with a tank this size and I will only be adding a fish at a time, so the BB should be able to handle it.

I've got a busy weekend ahead, so I might wait to add the Rabbitfish next weekend. I'm kinda surprised, but I've had zero interest in my Picasso Trigger on Craigslist, so I might hand it over to a LFS next weekend for credit.

On a side note, the purple/green Favia that I was worried about has taken a turn for the better and is looking much better. I'm getting a 50g corner tank tomorrow, so I can't wait to get that up and transfer everything over from my holding tank...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com