Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #231
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a quick update...sold the Picasso today...picked up a Yellow Tang for $16 at Reefers Garage in Vista, CA. I had never been, but another cool small place with great corals and great prices to match. I'm very excited to have found them.

The Rabitfish is not in the 240g yet, but I should be able to get him in this week. Lost one of the Blue/Green Chromis, but it did not look great from the start. There is another one that did not look great, but the others seem to be doing fine.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #232
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow, gotta love Cali prices. Yellow tangs over here go for 45-80$

Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #233
Aquarium Advice Addict

Todd's 240g Build

Typically the smaller ones go for about $25-30 at the LFS. I've got three places now that I found on Craigslist that are much smaller scale. This place was in a row of old garages and you would never see it from the street. The whole place is about the size of my living room/dining room. Lots of corals though. The other place I went to a couple weekends ago is out of someone's garage, but he has way more than most LFS do. Low overhead equals low prices and that just makes way more sense to me.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:08 AM   #234
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Typically the smaller ones go for about $25-30 at the LFS. I've got three places now that I found on Craigslist that are much smaller scale. This place was in a row of old garages and you would never see it from the street. The whole place is about the size of my living room/dining room. Lots of corals though. The other place I went to a couple weekends ago is out of someone's garage, but he has way more than most LFS do. Low overhead equals low prices and that just makes way more sense to me.
Wish I lived in SoCal with access to lfs like this. The ones I have access to have slim pickings, nothing exotic( have to go to shows like reefapalooza), and are greatly overpriced for what they do have. Mostly zoas(bleh) and basic color lps/sps. I find better corals on Craigslist.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #235
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well...the Yellow Tang was doing great, eating like crazy ( up until yesterday) and coming out of hiding a lot more and then this morning, I find it just kinda lying against the inside of the PVC. I'm not holding my breath on it being alive when I get home.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #236
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Well...the Yellow Tang was doing great, eating like crazy ( up until yesterday) and coming out of hiding a lot more and then this morning, I find it just kinda lying against the inside of the PVC. I'm not holding my breath on it being alive when I get home.
I live in SoCal too and I've heard of reefers garage. Should I hit it up?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #237
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have only been there one time, but was impressed with the coral selection. He can also order any fish you want and will be less than your local store. If you go, do not be scared away by the exterior of this place.

Out in LA/OC areas, Ellis Aquatics is great (Compton). He has a converted garage with a big coral selection and some fish, but can also order whatever you want for less. I got a five head Aussie Duncan for $20 and Blue /Green Chromis for $3 each.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool. I'll check it out.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #239
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_fish View Post
Cool. I'll check it out.

They are both on Facebook too. Ellis Aquatics just posted a bunch of pictures and some of the expansion he is doing in his garage.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 AM   #240
Aquarium Advice Addict

Todd's 240g Build

It has been a long, long time, but I finally got a couple fish added. I want to see how they do after the tank being fallow since mid-January. I added the Orange Spot Rabbitfish that has been in my holding tank for almost two months and the surviving Green Chromis tonight. Also got the monster blue Brittlestar in as well.

I am hoping to get either Tangs (mimic Eibli, Blonde Naso and a Yellow) or two of the Angels (considering a Potters and a juvenile Majestic) later this month. I can't decide which set to go with first.

I've also got my 60g cube coming together nicely. Can't wait to move the frags in. I started a thread in the Members Tanks section for that build.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com