Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am confident that we will get that glass secured better this time around. That should be Saturday morning, so I will likely get water back in Monday.

I've been testing my water and I am getting Ammonia down to zero from 3-4ppm in about 12 hours. Dosed it up yesterday early and it was down to zero by bedtime. I want to see what it does with all of the water. Weird thing is, I have not seen Nitrites. Not sure if it is the kit, or if those are going up and disappearing between tests. I've got nitrates, so something is happening. If that all goes well, I will probably get the Singapore Angel, Volitain Lion and Chromis in next week.

I'm rethinking my stock list now. Many will stay on, but I am going to try multiple Angels...two large (probably Majestic and Scribbled) and add a Multibar and Multicolor with the Singapore for Dwarfs (even though the Singapore is not technically classified as a dwarf). Maybe even throw in a Pygmy Flameback.

I am confident that we will get that glass secured better this time around. That should be Saturday morning, so I will likely get water back in Monday.

I've been testing my water and I am getting Ammonia down to zero from 3-4ppm in about 12 hours. Dosed it up yesterday early and it was down to zero by bedtime. I want to see what it does with all of the water. Weird thing is, I have not seen Nitrites. Not sure if it is the kit, or if those are going up and disappearing between tests. I've got nitrates, so something is happening. If that all goes well, I will probably get the Singapore Angel, Volitain Lion and Chromis in next week.

I'm rethinking my stock list now. Many will stay on, but I am going to try multiple Angels...two large (probably Majestic and Scribbled) and add a Multibar and Multicolor with the Singapore for Dwarfs (even though the Singapore is not technically classified as a dwarf). Maybe even throw in a Pygmy Flameback.

Lovin the flame back I think that's going on my list.

What about an emperor?

You gonna try anything daring?

What about an emperor?

You gonna try anything daring?

I love Emperors, but I have always wanted a Scribbled Angel (if you've ever seen one in person, you get it) and for some reason, the Majestics and Blue Faces have been grabbing my attention lately.

As for daring...I'm not sure what that would be exactly. :) I figure the Singapore and Multibar angels are tough to keep and then having multiple Angels...that's daring enough for me.

ive attempted 2 blue face angels and cannot keep them. idk why or for what reason but its heart-breaking

ive attempted 2 blue face angels and cannot keep them. idk why or for what reason but its heart-breaking

I've seen your posts and you honestly have me a little concerned with them. If I have the choice, which odds are I will, I am leaning towards the Majestic. Time will tell...my master plan for stocking will probably end up totally different. :)

I am sick to my stomach right now. Glass guy was out fixing the brace and somehow cracked it. Its emptied now and I'm looking for another tank to replace it. Of course he's a young guy, no business insurance, but at least seems like he will work with me. He wants to replace the front pane. I'm thinking that is a bad idea.

Man, you really caught a bad break, my heart sunk a little when I saw the crack.....

What would be the cost to replace the pane vs picking up another tank? A new tank can give peace of mind but if its not affordable right now your options may be limited.

I really hope it all works out for you, I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy....

Really sorry to see this. Hopefully he will purchase another tank and he is able to fix and sell this one.

He is willing to replace the pane, but I'm not sure i trust that. If that sucker comes off, that's a lot of water. There are a couple 240s on Craigslist right now, but $500-$600 and two hours away.

I agree with you on not having him fix it. Maybe as an option having him pay for another company to replace that pane. A company with a warranty and insurance.

I was talking to a guy at one LFS and he said that repairs usually don't come with warranty and that is when the company does the repair. I'm going to ask around more tomorrow.

This is beyond frustrating. Had the darn thing cycled and was getting ready to order fish to pick up in a couple weeks. Now it is back to square one...

I would look at the other 240's, even if far away. A repaired pane that long would make me nervous forever and thats no way to enjoy the hobby. The question is of course whether its in your budget or not. Do you have any really experienced repair places that specialize in aquariums?

I doubt there are repair places in my area, but I am out by Palm Springs, so there is not much locally. The good is that I'm betting that there is someplace in Los Angeles or Orange County. I'm just thinking that by the time we get the tank out there ( over an hour away), it would probably be less to get a used one. Someone has one for $600 on CL with a center overflow, black back like mine. I'm trying to get them down to $500 and am hoping this guy will pay for that. Figure it might be affordable for him and his cost on the glass alone has got to be half that.

Thanks to everyone that feels my pain. :) I'm trying to stay positive, but it's tough...

Well, the good news of the day is that the guy that broke the tank just came by and paid me. It is good to know that there are still honest people out there.

There is a 240g about 2 hours away (in Santa Ana for the locals) that I am hoping to go look at tomorrow. Black back, center overflow, same dimensions. Maybe this will all work out okay...

Good luck! Glad you got some cash in hand for your trouble. Fingers crossed that the tank over there will be "the one". lol

Thats great news. Good luck with sale. Glad he is an honest business person. Customer service rules the day

Back
Top Bottom