Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #491
Aquarium Advice Addict

My fish have appeared healthy up to the last 24hrs and then it hits hard. I've dealt with Ich many times over the years and never seen anything like this. It starts off with a few spots the first round and those last for 24-48hrs. They disappear for a few days and then it comes back with a vengeance. Almost Velvet ferocity. I'm on another board and their local fish disease guru says he has heard of a couple other people experiencing this same thing. It's also taking out stronger fish like Angels and Foxfaces and not hitting your typical first casualty fish like Tangs (that have thinner slime coats). It will be interesting to see how it handles hypo.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #492
Aquarium Advice Freak

Won't the hypo kill your corals?

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #493
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is a FOWLR with a couple small zoa/Paly colonies. I had one rock recently with some superman monti, meteor shower and chili pepper monti growing. I got it from a free tank breakdown and didn't know it had those. They showed up when I switched to LED. I pulled those into a 10g tank for now.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #494
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a little help, I think we've narrowed this down to both Ich and Brook. I'm unfortunately going to get the remaining fish into my 35g QT and I'm going to treat with Chloroquine Phosphate. Leaving the DT fallow as well. That means pulling lots and lots of rock out of the 240g, as the hawk and green bird wrasse will probably be tough to catch otherwise. No fun.

The remaining survivors are those two plus my Purple, Blonde and Desjardini Tangs and the Rusty Angel.

Lost so far..Passer and Lamark Angels, Harlequin Tusk, Magnificent Foxface.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #495
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Anything else showing signs of stress or disease?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #496
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Desjardini looks bad. The Blonde looks okay as does the hawk. The Rusty has had spots and some body film. The green bird wrasse is more just body film. The Putple has a little patch on its body. All but the Desjardini are acting normal and eating. The Desjardini eats a little, which is amazing in its condition.

My photobucket account has been acting up and I can't get in, otherwise I'd post pics.

I have been going back and forth with Humblefish (Bobby) over on the R2R forum. He seems to know his fish disease and even he was stumped at first.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #497
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Heart breaking. Trudge forward, be strong. I am so sorry to hear.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #498
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update...I ended up going fallow in the 240g and moved all the fish into QT. I'm treating with Chloroquine Phosphate, Metroplex and Kanaplex. So far, I've lost the Desjardini Tang and Blonde Tang, Magnificent Foxface and all my Angels. My only fish left are the Purple Tang, Green Bird Wrasse, Harlequin Tusk and Long Nose Hawk.

I'm kicking myself for thinking I could trust not QTing a fish from a supposedly disease-free tank. I was probably three fish away from having this tank filled with all of my "reasonable" dream fish. I got so many for such great deals too. It is beyond disheartening at this point. The magic day is May 24th to add fish back in, which seems so far away.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #499
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very frustrating when you lose a fish. It makes you rethink the hobby. Unfortunately in this hobby mistakes result in death. It breaks my heart to think I was responsible for killing one if these beautiful creatures. But I'd you learn from the mistakes it is not in vain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-15-2016, 12:16 AM   #500
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just an update...the Purple Tang and Harlequin Tusk are the survivors. I'm keeping the DT fallow for several more weeks, but I am already trying to figure out what to buy for round 3. I always feel weird buying the same kind of fish, but I think I've got to get another Blonde Naso and Green Bird Wrasse.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com