Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yup, that sounds like a bad day brewing. Hope all goes well for you from here on in. It's a shame I've been looking for a tank like this on CL for a while and have been shying away from ads that have phrases like cracked trim or replaced braces, maybe I'll get lucky some time

Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Such a bummer man. At least the tank didn't blow out. It could have been much much worse .

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah...saving the water would have been smart, especially when I've got two trash cans that I was holding sand and rock in. I panicked, grabbed a pump and tubing and started shooting the water out the back window into the backyard. I drained it down to about 25%...just enough to keep all the live rock submerged. I've got three Hydors keeping the water moving for now.

Now I've got to figure out a way to get that brace to hold. It was originally two pieces of glass, one a little wider that sat on the notched glass on the front and rear panels of the tank. We went with one 1/2" piece to replace it, not knowing there was a notch. the replacement piece was the length of the inside of the glass, so it did not rest on the notch. The glass guy made two L braces, attached them with what was supposed to be heavy duty double sided tape and then sealed them in with aquarium sealant. Obviously not strong enough to support the weight of my light. I think that it was not totally sealed and the tape got wet and fell apart from there. I've texted this guy...just waiting to hear back to see what he comes up with as a better solution.

The light was barely touching the water all along one edge, so I am hoping it is not ruined. I got the water out and have it out drying while I am at work.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
Such a bummer man. At least the tank didn't blow out. It could have been much much worse .
Indeed...much better than 240 gallons pouring onto my living room carpet.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well...good news at the end if a bad day. Glass guy came by and is going to redo the braces and get it on so it doesn't come off again.

Beyond that, I decided to do a water test to see if I have nitrites yet. My ammonia was almost gone last night, so I dosed it up to about 3ppm last night. I tested right now and its at zero. No nitrites (thinking maybe a bad kit?) and Nitrates are high on the Red Sea test kit (bright red on the low range kit) Where they were zero a couple of days ago. This disaster might have just been my big partial water change. I'm going to redo the tests again later and take a batch to my LFS for a second opinion on the nitrites and nitrates tomorrow...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-451588487.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	206300
Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Well...good news at the end if a bad day. Glass guy came by and is going to redo the braces and get it on so it doesn't come off again. Beyond that, I decided to do a water test to see if I have nitrites yet. My ammonia was almost gone last night, so I dosed it up to about 3ppm last night. I tested right now and its at zero. No nitrites (thinking maybe a bad kit?) and Nitrates are high on the Red Sea test kit (bright red on the low range kit) Where they were zero a couple of days ago. This disaster might have just been my big partial water change. I'm going to redo the tests again later and take a batch to my LFS for a second opinion on the nitrites and nitrates tomorrow...
Good to hear! Hopefully those tests check out tomorrow, fingers crossed
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post

Good to hear! Hopefully those tests check out tomorrow, fingers crossed
I think they will, but want to be sure.

The brace is not going back in until Friday morning, so it will probably be Sunday before I fill it back up. I will be retesting again then. I'm thinking the ammonia might have gone done to zero because there is now about 275-300 lbs of live rock with 1/3 the water. I wish I had tested nitrates last night.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try to get some Dow Corning 995 silicone sealant. It's structural silicone , used by sea world etc,

That's what I used for all the euro bracing on my 800 gallon tank. It's uber strong.

aquascaping is a tough one, try using acrylic rods to create strong structures or 1/2 cpvc and zip tying rocks to it, have a couple beer, do some aquascaping , sit back have a couple more and decide what you can improve. Lol
Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifusion View Post
Try to get some Dow Corning 995 silicone sealant. It's structural silicone , used by sea world etc,

That's what I used for all the euro bracing on my 800 gallon tank. It's uber strong.

aquascaping is a tough one, try using acrylic rods to create strong structures or 1/2 cpvc and zip tying rocks to it, have a couple beer, do some aquascaping , sit back have a couple more and decide what you can improve. Lol
I like your style of aquascaping! Beer always helps with the creativity...tequila even better! . It's a blank slate again, so I am going same basic idea, round two, but am going to try and get more large openings for the puffer.

I will see if I can find some of the 995. I think his fatal flaw in attaching was using double sided tape to hold the braces on to the sides of the tank and figuring the sealant would keep all the water off. Once those got wet, they were done sticking, thus leaving only the sealant to hold the weight of the light. I'm going to redo my hood so that the lights rest on that, instead of on the glass and brace. Its open up top, but so tall you cant tell. Eventually, I will upgrade to LED and I'm guessing those weigh a fraction of the setup I have now.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Only just found out about your disaster as I've been pretty busy with my own tank. Sorry to hear dude. Looks like that's two of us with 'glass' issues on a new setup!

I'm getting some good tips here Bout aquascaping. I'm hoping to do something cool with mine too.

Looking forward to seeing fish in there!

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com