Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is that a 4 ft light?
It is 5'. I just threw it up there like that for now. I am going to get it higher off the water when its in the hood. It lights the whole tank a lot better that way.

I'm still not sure how all those last pics are showing up. :). They don't show on my phone , so I will have to look on my computer late today.

Fired up the return pump a while ago and so far , no leaks and the sump / fuge water levels are all set. Turned power off and there is plenty of room left after everything drains.

Added a new type of filtration in the fuge too...it's Freaky the tiki god. He scares nitrates out of the water! :) I still have more live rock to add to the fuge...

image-3495824125.jpg

It was a long weekend with mixed feelings. I just added the Volitan Lion (Spikey), the Green Chromis (Google) and the Singapore Angel (Angel) into the 240g (finally). The kids named them. The Lion and the Angel had kinda been going at each other the last few days and the Lion has not eaten for about six days. I'm hoping it was just close quarters for too long and that everyone will settle down with the extra 200 gallons if room.

I did not end up getting that Blue Jaw Trigger. Apparently the guy's sister had passed away on Thanksgiving and was not able to meet up (understandably). Of course, none of the LFS by my Mom's place had anything I wanted, so I went home empty handed. I'm going shopping locally today, but do not expect to get anything.

On a sad side note, we lost one of our Hounds to kidney failure on Thanksgiving. :(

Oh thats horrible, so sorry for your loss......I lost my springer spaniel at only 4 years old to the same problem, it really really sucked.....

The dog situation was difficult. Of the two hounds we have, she was the one that always seemed to have health issues (ear infections, etc)...we just put $1200 into an ear surgery earlier this year too. The other hound is not too happy now either. They were inseparable, so we are probably going to get another in the somewhat near future.

On the fish side...I did end up getting one Bicolor Chromis yesterday. Since it is white/black and my tank is black , I will probably need time before I can get a good picture. They had a nice Blue Jaw Trigger, but wanted $60 when the one I was supposed to get was $30, so I had to pass.

No...typical Chromis size...maybe 1.5-2". Funy thing is the Singapore Angel and Green Chromis that I've had in the holding tank for the last several weeks are hiding out a lot more. This guy seems pretty brave .

I did end up pulling the Volitan Lion back into the 45g holding tank. I'm not sure why, but the Singapore had been picking on him the last few days and he was not looking good. Fins were pretty tore up. I figure he can heal up and be less stressed in there by himself. If he makes it, I may just sell him.

Oh thats too bad about the lion, they are pretty neat fish. At least you got him out before any serious harm was done, well hopefully anyway. And yeah, by himself should have him less stressed no doubt about it. Maybe the angel was just testing the lion to see if he could bully him since he was also just added to the tank. I just cant imagine anything messing with a lion fish.

I'm a little worried about this Angel. It seemed fine the first several weeks and it just started the aggressive stuff about a week ago. It started in the holding tank and continued in the 240g. They had been together in the original 240g, that cracked, for months. It did take out a Yellow Tang that the previous owner put in a 5g bucket when I was coming to move everything. He said he put them both in , went to start pulling the rock and about half an hour later saw the Angel attacking the Yellow, which was already in bad shape. If it continues once there are multiple fish, it might be finding a new home.

Oh man, that fish sounds like he may the problem. For the saftey of other fish you really may have to rehome him, if anyone will take such an aggressive fish.

They aren't supposed to be aggressive though. He was just hanging out with the Chromis too. I am keeping my eye on him...

Update a few days with fish in...

The Lion is back in the holding tank and not looking good. Not sure if it will make it.

The 240g is looking good except yesterday and this morning, when the lights go on, the Singapore Angel has a bunch of white specs on it. At first, I think Ick, but when I get home it looks fine. It is not sand, but I've never seen Ich come and go on a daily schedule. I'm wondering if it is stress related, as this never happened in the holding tank. It was in there for over 8 weeks with no signs of anything. If anyone has ideas, please let me know. It is eating fine and the two Chromis look great.

It sounds like ich... Stemming from stress?

I agree, it kinda does, but I've never seen Ich come and go like that and it sure seems like it would have presented itself while in the holding tank. I would imagine that would have been more stressful. I wish I was around all day to see how quickly it goes away. I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Good idea. Just sparks my memory about the theory about all fish having ich and only shows up when severely stressed. Like pinched mantle in clams... Interesting thought, just no proof.

Hope it's not ich. You may switch the lion into the 240 and the angel into the 45. That way you can treat for ich just in case without messing with the 240. I'm curious what you are feeding to the lionfish. I've had mine for about 7-8 months and just yesterday was the first time he ate anything other than silversides or live fish. I've always had to use tongs to feed as well holding the food right in front of its mouth. Yesterday I fed it a piece of uncooked shrimp from the grocery store (using tongs to hold as usual). Mine is a very picky eater so maybe that will give some ideas getting your lion to eat.

Back
Top Bottom