Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a 10g is the largest I will be able to squeeze in there, but I may be able to shorten between tank one and tank two. I glued everything into the bulkheads though, so I'd end up replacing four, which stinks after having already replaced all of them from the last guy's hack job. I may put something between the stand and the wall in the corner. Nobody will see anything there anyways.

I am going to have to lean about tank plumbing one day! I want to go bigger and not knowing how to do all the plumbing can't be good for me. LOL

Is it amazing how replacing a few broken boards and adding a fresh coat of paint can turn an old used tank into a almost brand new looking tank? I am following along Todd! Post more Pics! :p

I agree with baron... plumbing needs to be learned preferrably before i start on my 90g build with a 50g sump! Scary how I know less than nothing about plumbing...

I really know nothing about plumbing. It's just the basic idea of getting the lengths correct for the drains and return lines. This is my first tank with this kind of setup. I've always either had canister filters (old days) or built-in filtration that came with my acrylic tanks.

I will post more pics later today. Last night I got my Brute trash can (that was holding live rock that came with this tank)) emptied and into the tank. Still have lots more rock in my two other tanks and a trash can full of sand that I'm going to try and get in tonight.

My 120 gallon is going to just have a Wet Dry filter with a return pump. :p Hang on the Back overflow and a return pump, that's it. I am almost done with the hood, and once I do the hood I will start working on the stand! I hope to be up and running in the middle of December!

Loving the sheer size of that sump or sumps lol. Talk about an increase in water volume. I would have done something similar on my build but I decided to utilise the extra space I have next to my sump for a QT. I like the idea of having everything in one place so I can keep an eye on it all.

When's it gonna be wet????? Exiting!

It is full and running now...lots of live rock in already and more to come tonight (with sand). In sure I will be messing around with the aquascaping for days.

The only bummer about the sump/fuge is that there is a lot of "wasted space"...both of the CPR tanks are divided in two, with a larger and smaller side. Both of the smaller sides face each other and short of adding water volume, don't do much.

I think with a tank this size you're not too bothered about a few extra litres.

Good to hear its up and running.

What fish are you hoping to have in this setup?

What fish are you hoping to have in this setup?

The gameplan is to add the following...What actually happens could be a different story. I'm one of those people that will obsess about what to get and then see something at an LFS that I like and grab that. The plan is;

Already have:
- Volitan Lion
- Singapore Angel
- Green Chromis

Plan to get:
- Harlequin Tusk (Aussie)
- Large Angel (Majestic, Annularus or Scribbled)
- Dwarf Angel (probably MultiColor)
- Flameback Dwarf Angel (maybe)
- Blue Throat Trigger (male...maybe do a pair)
- Blonde Naso Tang (male)
- Eibli Mimic Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Porcupine Puffer (kids really want one)
- Blueline Foxface
- Snowflake Eel
- Flame Hawk
- Spanish or Coral Hogfish (maybe)

Have thought about a few Anthias, but not sure how they would do with that crowd.

The only bummer about the sump/fuge is that there is a lot of "wasted space"...both of the CPR tanks are divided in two, with a larger and smaller side. Both of the smaller sides face each other and short of adding water volume, don't do much.

Place pieces of live rock or macro algae in those "wasted spaces"

The gameplan is to add the following...What actually happens could be a different story. I'm one of those people that will obsess about what to get and then see something at an LFS that I like and grab that. The plan is; Already have: - Volitan Lion - Singapore Angel - Green Chromis Plan to get: - Harlequin Tusk (Aussie) - Large Angel (Majestic, Annularus or Scribbled) - Dwarf Angel (probably MultiColor) - Flameback Dwarf Angel (maybe) - Blue Throat Trigger (male...maybe do a pair) - Blonde Naso Tang (male) - Eibli Mimic Tang - Yellow Tang - Porcupine Puffer (kids really want one) - Blueline Foxface - Snowflake Eel - Flame Hawk - Spanish or Coral Hogfish (maybe) Have thought about a few Anthias, but not sure how they would do with that crowd.

Gonna be one hell of a tank. Wish I had the space for one, maybe one day when I get my own place.

This is the best shot I could get...one Brute container of rock so far. The light will be higher, so should cover more space. I'm hoping to get the sand in tonight...
image-2750488109.jpg

Well, it was finally a day where the tank did not cause trouble and I got to do fun stuff. I got all of the sand and the rest of the rock in. Messed around with the aquascaping and got the basic layout completed. I've got a few small pieces left and might just toss those into the refugium.

Being a fan of Dr Tim's One & Only, I purchased that and got it in just now. I am using the Ammonium Chloride that they sell with it. Just dosed it up to 2.0ppm. I will report as tests are done, so people can see how this product works. I know a lot of people here are not fans of bottled bacteria, but I don't like the smell that we got the one time I did the shrimp method (my cat at the time did though) and I've used Dr Tim's twice before with zero problems.

image-3350723935.jpg

I will get tank pics up tomorrow...

It is difficult to get a good picture right now, but this is what I've got so far..,

It's coming a long great! I don't usually like the island look but in this size tank I'm assuming it would take a load of rock to fill it up lol

Looks great! Wish I could get the island look but oh well. lol

Is that all the rock you have? Or are you adding more?

Back
Top Bottom