Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure how you buy fish in Palm Springs but what I started doing is tell my LFS which fish I want from this wholesaler based on its list: http://www.qualitymarine.com/Products/Fish/Wild/Angels
It's supposed to be hi tech facility. However, their prices are reflective of that too but worth it.
If need be I can put you in contact with a saltwater fish store owner in South Bay Area and he will take care of you.
Good luck with your build.

The problem out here is that there are two LFS. Really nice people at both , but prices are probably 20% higher. (often more) than what the exact same fish would be in Orange County and there is usually not a great selection to choose from. They can order fish though. I found a guy on Craigslist that gets fish direct from the distributers and just adds a few bucks , so he is less than the OC stores. I'm going to try him out. For example...a Blue Jaw Trigger out here would be around $55. Same in OC would be $40. I'm getting one from him for $30.

What I really want to try sometime is buying through another guy from CL that used to be a distributer. You have to buy a box of fish and it comes straight to LAX from wherever in the world. The fish are less than wholesale and he charges $50 for his cut. Shipping is like $150 a box. Fish still come out way lower, you just have to buy in the ballpark of 15-20 ( can be a variety). Does corals too. He sends lists out every week of what is available. Its scary because most fish are only a few bucks...Coral Beauty $3, Adult Koran $8, etc...you just have to add those other expenses into the calculation.

todd could you pm me the link to that guy?? i want to see if i cant put an order together.

You have to go to LAX to get the box though. It is literally coming from somewhere like Fiji, he gets the box and you get the box from him .

PM me with your email and I will forward you the lists that he sends out every few days. It's really pretty amazing what the overseas places sell the fish for to the distributers over here . The Red Sea list has Purple Tangs, Sohal Tangs, etc for like $40. I figure add $15-20 for the additional costs ( shipping, customs , his cut ) and it's still a whole lot less than any LFS.

oh without a doubt. ive seen the pricing list for the LFS i used to work at. its aggravating to say the least. (why is a $100 fish only costing the store $15-20 bucks?!?!)

This is what it is looking like after last night. Not the best pic, as there are a lot more holes/caves than this shows. Still have a few more pieces of rock and more sand to add later today ..,

image-4138518726.jpg

oh without a doubt. ive seen the pricing list for the LFS i used to work at. its aggravating to say the least. (why is a $100 fish only costing the store $15-20 bucks?!?!)

You have to factor in the cost of running a store , paying rent, insurance , employee wages, electricity , utilities, maintenance and losses from fish that die that you make nothing off of. I'm sure all of that adds up quickly and their profit is not as much as one might think.

From my side though, if I could get a few people locally to go in on a box, split everything up , it would be a tremendous savings. No overhead and almost no middleman. When I get a reef going, I am doing this for corals for sure . Plan to get what I want and just sell the rest. That's easier than selling a bunch of fish , or I would do the same with the fish.

Well, it looks like I am getting that Blue Jaw a little sooner than later. A while ago , I had mentioned wanting one and being over in Orange County this holiday weekend. Got a text and this guy grabbed one for me . :) Hopefully my tank is cycled this weekend or I'm setting up another holding tank in my son's room . :) Here is the upcoming addition...

image-610743953.jpg

I've had the other three in a 45g and they are getting along. I don't want to mess up their dynamics by adding a new fish. We have a 30g that I just cleaned up in my sons room. Was freshwater, but no fish now, so I could add saltwater and use it for a little while.

I dosed my tank to 3-4ppm with ammonia yesterday morning. It was down to .5 this morning , so I am thinking it will be okay in four more days. Especially with only adding three fish, two being relatively small, to an almost 300 gallon system.

keep in mind too that dosing to 4ppm is a decent bioload, the bioload those 3 fish create arent going to be near that 4ppm daily dose of ammonia so youll be set.

Exactly. That was what I was getting at. The BB are knocking the ammonia down decently now and three fish, even though one is a Lion, should not put out nearly that much . I will probably try 2ppm tonight and see how that goes in. 24 hours...

Got the aquascaping done last night . I'm about 85% happy with it , but it will do for now. I'm planning on adding more water to the sump /fuge after work today and firing it up. image-3919815623.jpg image-2850553518.jpg image-3887160385.jpg I apologize if there are duplicate pics...mine only shows three attachments.

Attachments

• image-1921735257.jpg
    image-1921735257.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 154
  • image-2476636761.jpg
    image-2476636761.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 121
  • image-692192362.jpg
    image-692192362.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 132
  • image-3711204784.jpg
    image-3711204784.jpg