Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I guess I am taking in a 7-8" Black Pyramid Butterfly from the guy giving me the skimmer. It came from one of his clients and is not doing well in his tank...not eating. Against my better judgement, I am going to skip QT and put it straight in tomorrow. Less stress and going into an established tank. I think it's odds are better that way. His guy had it since February and the guy he got it from had it for over two years. Never had disease, so hopefully okay.
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2015-08/666CE78C-63DA-46D5-88D4-C86C4B056B1D.png
He just sent that picture. Looks smaller but he says it is big.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, he got it to eat before catching it, so looks like he will sell it now. I am considering a regular Pyramid Butterfly now though.

The Eshopps skimmer was a smaller model than previously thought, so that did not happen.

The good news...he is breaking down another tank and I might get a Bubble Mag skimmer, Jebao DC900 return pump, UV filter and a flame angel for $150. Fingers crossed on that now...

Well, it's been a while...I ended up doing that deal. I haven't done anything with the skimmer or UV yet. The Jeabo wavemaker is in my 60g cube and it seems like the corals like the extra/random flow.

I added the Flame Angel to the 240g tonight. It did fine in QT and they were certain it was fine before that. I hope it works with the Rusty and Lamarks Angel that have been in there.

I plan to go fish shopping this weekend. I'm thinking maybe a Green Bird Wrasse if I can find one. I'm also considering a Spanish Hog or another Lyretail Hogfish.

The addition of the Flame Angel did not go well. Lights came on and the Rusty Angel was all over it and would not stop for a second. I gave it an hour and decided that was enough. Luckily, I was able to catch the Flame and get it back into QT. Poor thing was exhausted. The Rusty had been the least aggressive fish in the tank, so I was a little surprised.

Big score yesterday from Craigslist. A guy that was being evicted and going into rehab today had to get rid of his 120g set. My coral guy and I went and broke the system down...120g glass with center overflow, three Tao LEDs, stand, hood, nice sump, lots of big live rock pieces, several corals, Eshopps skimmer, UV, Jebao wavemakers, Red Sea Pro reef test kit (unopened), Reefkeeper automated system with all probes, a bunch of chemicals, Purple Tang, Sailfin, Kole, big Hippo, Yellow Tang, mandarin, leopard wrasse, Royal gramma and various other items. FREE! Not bad for a few hours work. I took three tangs, the Taos and wavemakers. He is going to sell the system and split it. Another ridiculous score!

He had it listed for sale but nobody was interested as it had to go within 48hrs in the middle of the week. Yesterday morning he posted it for free but had to go to someone that knew what they were doing and it had to be gone that day. I called to confirm that he had it and then got in touch with my coral guy as he has a truck. I took off work early and it took us about 5 hours to break down but well worth the effort.

The LEDs will go on the 240g and I will sell the T5 unit that it came with. The WPs will go on the 240g as well. I just found out that I'm getting the controller too, so that will go on my 60g reef. The Red Sea Pro kit was unopened and still had a $69 price tag on it (overpriced, but that is my area unfortunately). I may try to sell that since I am not that obsessed about parameters. API works fine for me (he had one of those too).

The big Sailfin is going in the 240g and the Kole in the 60g. I plan to swap the Purple Tang for something this weekend, as I will be out of town in my old stomping grounds. I contacted the not-so-LFS that I used to go to (and still do from time to time) and he said we will work something out. He's getting a QT'd Tang coming from a tank that has never had disease and I'm hoping to get a Large Angel if they can get something interesting (he goes to a fish distributer in LA Sunday mornings).

I got a male Green Bird Wrasse and have the LFS looking for a Scribbled Angel. I will be back out that way in 2-3 weeks so hopefully they can find one.

That is an amazing gift for you in the guy having all of it go for free!

The new fish seems to be a pretty nice looking and different kind of fish. Looks like a SW Elephant nose with color! By the name is it like hummingbird???

I put the Sailfin Tang and Green Bird Wrasse in this morning. The Purple was initially upset about the new Tang but seems to have cooled off now. I figure the Wrasse will hide out for a while.

Someone has a 4-5" Passer Angel on CL right now for $45 so I'm tempted to grab that if its still around next weekend. Not one of my original choices but they are beautiful fish.

Congrats! I'm glad the Tangs are behaving now, so relieving once they decide to get along! Salfins and Purples are absolutely stunning!

I had the last couple weeks off and finally got around to switching this tank over to LED. I used four Tao (two real with all the colors and two blue/white knockoffs). I love the look of the knockoff blue/white but do not like the red in the others. I have them alternating now, but may move them so that those are on both ends. I'm considering adding some anemones just to have a little life and movement on the rocks.

I also swapped out the ancient Top Fathom skimmer I had for a Bubble Magus Nac 6 that I got from a recent tank breakdown. The old one was not working well in recent months, so I figured this one will at least grab more, even though it is rated for smaller. I have a second that I may add if parameters start to go south.

The fish are all doing well. I'm hoping to get a fish or two this weekend, but am not sure what they will be. Hoping for a large angel and a wrasse, but leaving it up to fate. I'm also picking up some eBay winnings for the 60g cube. Rastas, Blue Agaves, Space Queens and LA Lakers. Also going to try a pink gonipora too.

Got one fish...
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...6-01/38887689-678E-414C-BE60-EA07FC1469F3.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...6-01/FF599C12-F3EF-4151-BBD3-729DB28D16C3.jpg

It arrived at the LFS a couple months ago with only one eye. They said it looked and acted fine but treated it anyways. I've always wanted a Scribbled Angel and am a sucker for rescue fish. This guy was doing fine, but I felt bad that nobody wanted him. They gave me a great deal, so I'm happy.

Got one fish...
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...6-01/38887689-678E-414C-BE60-EA07FC1469F3.jpg
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...6-01/FF599C12-F3EF-4151-BBD3-729DB28D16C3.jpg

It arrived at the LFS a couple months ago with only one eye. They said it looked and acted fine but treated it anyways. I've always wanted a Scribbled Angel and am a sucker for rescue fish. This guy was doing fine, but I felt bad that nobody wanted him. They gave me a great deal, so I'm happy.

Woah, what a stunning fish! The color is amazing, I just love the lines, they're so bright! Congrats on the new guy!

Thanks. I've always wanted one, but they are hard to come by (and expensive). This one was just at the right place at the right time and at the right price. The single eye does not seem to bother this fish, which is great. It really is a stunning fish in person. The pictures don't do it justice.

Well...bad news...woke up this morning and found the Scribbled dead. It had been eating and looked and acted fine. I hate losing fish like this. I think I will try another Angel and consider another Scribbled as the final addition down the road.

That's too bad. I lost my wartskin angler the same way. He was eating on Thursday, and was dead on Friday.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom