Todd's 240g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh how I wish my tank was ready for fish and the budget was not so tight right now.

I went to pick up two zoa colonies today that I won on eBay (that's a whole other story) and this guy with an incredibly nice 12g reef tells me there is a bird farm/fish store nearby and that they have good stuff. I'm thinking "sure, the old bird farm/fish store is gonna have great stuff" (read with sarcasm, because that's how it was in my head. Anyways, it is only a few minutes away, so I figure why not? I almost pass it, as it is almost literally a hole in the wall store. I park, walk in to squawking birds in the background, but my jaw drops as I look at the fish selection and prices. They had a big healthy looking Achilles Tang for $150...a misbar Red Sea Regal Angel for $90 (!)...a decent sized Emperor Angel for $120...I could go on and on. I probably would have grabbed at least the Regal.
E5X89bT.jpg

I did get a juvie Annularis Angel for $40 (I've never seen a juvie of these). I'm hoping it gets along with my Purple Tang in QT...
CRA4x6i.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They had a few big triggers (blue jaw, sargassum, black) and a huge adult Naso Tang and Queen Angel...some guy offered the owner $200 cash for a med Purple Tang and a decent sized Chevron Tang (both listed at $140) and he went for it. The common stuff like smallish yellow Tangs were only $20...med PBTs were $39...they had several flasher wrasses but no prices listed. They had several corals and frags but I was too mesmerized by the fish. ?It was really a strange setup, as it is a fairly small place, very narrow, but some really cool stuff. I asked about how often the Red Sea Regals came in and the guy said they can usually get them.

One month from today and the fallow period is over. This waiting thing is no fun.

The new juvenile Annularis Angel seems to be doing good in QT with the Tusk and Purple Tang. The Tusk was hanging out near the surface for a few days, which had me worried, but it seems back to normal now.

That angel is nice looking! I've missed this thread completely. I'm guessing you are trying to get rid of ich or velvet? Best of luck! Those are some nice fish you have there.

I added a Passer Angel that nuked my tank with what looked like Brook and Ich. I'm down to just the Purple Tang now. Found the Tusk dead yesterday in QT and had not seen the juvie Annularis for a few days. That was dead too. I'm not a happy camper with all of the loss. Went from being a couple fish short of being stocked with my dream fish to basically nothing.

Thanks everyone.

I added three big Turbo snails yesterday. Had then in my 60g cube and they kept knocking frags over. At least there is something alive in there now. ?

I'm trying to figure out which route to go with restocking. It looks like I will have the Purple Tang to start. As much as the last stock list was pretty close to a dream list, I am not sure that I want to repeat that. Part of me is considering doing reef but sticking to zoas and LPS (maybe anemones?), but I love Angels, so that probably isn't the best way to go.

Think through the most amazing tanks you have seen - or fish in a set up. Can you make something like that happen? Or create the parts that you admired the most.

Since you are at ground level here, you have many options. I am too inexperienced to make any SW recommendations for a tank of that size. But can try to get you thinking what crazy ideas you might have that could become a reality?!!!

I always wanted one of the green sea grass wrasses, but my tank is too small. I never see anyone with them. Maybe you can keep one for me. Lol.

I always wanted one of the green sea grass wrasses, but my tank is too small. I never see anyone with them. Maybe you can keep one for me. Lol.

I'm not sure I've ever seen one in a LFS but they sound interesting.

Wow...I came home today and did not see my purple tang in QT. I've got a 35g set up underneath my son's 60g (eventually will become a sump), so it's not always easy to see everything. I found it dead. It had been eating and seemed fine. It was going back into my DT on the 28th. That was the last survivor. Whatever diseases this started off as won this battle with 100% fatality rate. My DT is still fallow, but now it's weeks before I get a new fish, QT it and can add it. It's times like this where you want to just throw in the towel and quit. I won't, but this really stinks...

Dang. Sorry for your luck man. Glad your not throwing in the towel. Hopefully here soon you will have a nice clean parasite free tank and things will shine in your favor.

Very strange. It really sucks when you don't know what happened. I lost my wartskin angler and my lion within a week of each other and they were perfectly healthy before. I chalked it up to contaminated food because they both are the same thing before they died, but I will never know.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Today is the big day. The 240g has been fallow long enough that anything nasty should have perished. As luck would have it, there was someone looking to get rid of their 6-7" (LPS-munching) Magnificent Foxface. I traded a frag of Bloodshot zoas and a few bucks, so this will be my first addition in a few weeks. This is the picture he sent...
HXFrTtN.jpg

Back
Top Bottom