Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Todd's 240g Build

I got this 240g about six weeks ago and have been tweaking the prior owner's setup and replacing all the bulkheads, as he hacked them all and left no room to splice new plumbing. I replaced the entire floor, as it was ruined from a flood he had when he lost power. I also threw another coat of varnish on it and stained all the scrapes. It was a little rough in areas.

I will provide more details later, but I just added a bit of water to make sure all the bulkheads are okay up top (2 owners ago, there were two outlets in the bottom for circulation) and down in my new sump/refugium setup.

I wanted to snap a shot and get a "build thread" started. This is without the hood, for now...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3862382966.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	204256

Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That. IS. AWESOME. !!!

Good luck, I am following along of course, love a good build thread.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice tank! What's the length on that?

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by begginersluck View Post
Nice tank! What's the length on that?
It is 8'x2'x2'.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the monster tank won round 1 today. I filled it up, hit the return pump and could not get everything underneath to balance out properly.

The sump and refugium are two CPR wet/drys connected to each other and then connected to an acrylic 35g I had in the garage. The previous owner had one of the CPR tanks for input and filtration (bio balls) and that connected to the second tank that had a skimmer and the return pump. I wanted a refugium, so I used my 35g.

I could get everything flowing and stable, but the water levels were too high in the sump and fuge. If I killed power, they would have overflowed. If I tried to being it down, the chamber with the return pump would run too low. I ended up draining the bottom, trimming the acrylic panel lower that makes the return pump chamber. Will try again tomorrow and see how it works...
Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Following along! This is gonna be one heck of a tank.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well...day two and I think we call today a tie...one leak fixed, the other gets about a drip every 30 minutes and it drips into the sump, so for now I can live with that.

My issue now is finding the sweet spot between the drains and the return. I thought I had it...I tried killing the power,..it drained, didn't overflow the sump/fuge area and I thought all was well. I turned the return pump back on and could not get it to balance out like before. The sump runs about 1.5" higher and I could not keep my return lines wide open like originally.

The cool news of the days was a local reef guy had an add on Craigslist today looking to unload live rock, for FREE. He wanted more flow in his tank and was the lucky guy who responded first, so I picked up about 50 lbs for free!

I think I'm calling it a day and will try to figure out the water level underneath the tank another day. Frustrating, but I'd rather get it right up front...
Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Following along as well!! Def going to be a gorgeous tank
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice pull on the live rock! Keep looking and you always find a great deal eventually.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Nice pull on the live rock! Keep looking and you always find a great deal eventually.
Can't beat free and i wasn't really looking for that either. The real bummer was he had some Zoas and a couple other corals he would have given me if I was doing a reef.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com