Tonga Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IfoundNemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
$202 include over night shipping for 50 lbs of Tonga LR. Is this a good deal? My LFS sells these rock for $7/lb. The only draw back is you can't choose which rock you want.

I'm very happy with my liverocks.com live rock...

You will get more dieoff from your tonga rock. Its probably been shipped and reshipped. Where is this from? Some people keep tanks of stuff stateside, whereas others gets shipped straight from the reef (or holding tank in said country). Great for cycling a tank though...

I'd maybe mix and match from several sources. You can't beat diversity.

Ditto what Theatrus said - I got my LR from 3 locations - first was tonga rock from a place in LA, second from a local tank, and 3rd from LR.com.

The stuff from LA I thought was gonna be 'fresh' but turns out it took a week to get from the south pacific to LA, and even tho they overnighted it to me I had a TON of dieoff - my NH3/NH4 levels were > 5.0 for 3 weeks.

The local stuff from a friend was awesome - pre-cycled, plenty of growth, and a great price. Check to see if there are any reefkeeping clubs in your area (I grew up in Bama - where do you live? :) ) buying used where I can has saved me a ton of money.

The LR.com rock is by no means cheap - but it is extraordinary. Great color, tons of life, good customer service before and after the sale, etc. This forum has alot of satisified customers, so I'm sure you'll hear more.

Last but not least - I don't know if this is a consideration but the florida aquacultured rock (be liverocks.com, or tampa bay saltwater, or gulf view) is all a renewable / farmable resource. They "plant" the baserock in the ocean, then come back to harvest it a few years later.

While the stuff from the South pacific is wild-harvested.

Have fun -

The local stuff from a friend was awesome - pre-cycled, plenty of growth, and a great price. Check to see if there are any reefkeeping clubs in your area (I grew up in Bama - where do you live? :) ) buying used where I can has saved me a ton of money.

I live in Hoover. I wouldn't mind buying used LR. :) Just don't know if there are any reefkeeing clubs around here or not.

I went to Elementary school in Alabaster, graduated HS in Hamilton - small world.

I'll poke around and see what I can find - if I come up with something I'll PM you offline.

That was easy enough... from the aquarium advice homepage browse to:

Home Page » Forum Index » Community Forum » Regional Forums » Alabama Aquarists

And post a quick note letting them know who you are and what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Nate

That reminds me - check the Tuscaloosa paper classified from time to time and the b'ham news classifieds. You never know who is lurking out there without access to the web and a ton of cheap used gear. Students especially tend to move around and have to get rid of things :)

have fun.

Back
Top Bottom