Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tonga Live Rock

$202 include over night shipping for 50 lbs of Tonga LR. Is this a good deal? My LFS sells these rock for $7/lb. The only draw back is you can't choose which rock you want.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm very happy with my liverocks.com live rock...

You will get more dieoff from your tonga rock. Its probably been shipped and reshipped. Where is this from? Some people keep tanks of stuff stateside, whereas others gets shipped straight from the reef (or holding tank in said country). Great for cycling a tank though...

I'd maybe mix and match from several sources. You can't beat diversity.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ditto what Theatrus said - I got my LR from 3 locations - first was tonga rock from a place in LA, second from a local tank, and 3rd from LR.com.

The stuff from LA I thought was gonna be 'fresh' but turns out it took a week to get from the south pacific to LA, and even tho they overnighted it to me I had a TON of dieoff - my NH3/NH4 levels were > 5.0 for 3 weeks.

The local stuff from a friend was awesome - pre-cycled, plenty of growth, and a great price. Check to see if there are any reefkeeping clubs in your area (I grew up in Bama - where do you live? ) buying used where I can has saved me a ton of money.

The LR.com rock is by no means cheap - but it is extraordinary. Great color, tons of life, good customer service before and after the sale, etc. This forum has alot of satisified customers, so I'm sure you'll hear more.

Last but not least - I don't know if this is a consideration but the florida aquacultured rock (be liverocks.com, or tampa bay saltwater, or gulf view) is all a renewable / farmable resource. They "plant" the baserock in the ocean, then come back to harvest it a few years later.

While the stuff from the South pacific is wild-harvested.

Have fun -
Old 11-18-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The local stuff from a friend was awesome - pre-cycled, plenty of growth, and a great price. Check to see if there are any reefkeeping clubs in your area (I grew up in Bama - where do you live? ) buying used where I can has saved me a ton of money.

I live in Hoover. I wouldn't mind buying used LR. Just don't know if there are any reefkeeing clubs around here or not.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I went to Elementary school in Alabaster, graduated HS in Hamilton - small world.

I'll poke around and see what I can find - if I come up with something I'll PM you offline.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

That was easy enough... from the aquarium advice homepage browse to:

Home Page » Forum Index » Community Forum » Regional Forums » Alabama Aquarists

And post a quick note letting them know who you are and what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Nate
Old 11-18-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks alot Nate! RolllTide.

Tony
Old 11-18-2004, 02:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

That reminds me - check the Tuscaloosa paper classified from time to time and the b'ham news classifieds. You never know who is lurking out there without access to the web and a ton of cheap used gear. Students especially tend to move around and have to get rid of things

have fun.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com