Too many copepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
The other day I noticed white specks all over the back of my tank (painted black background). It is a 75 gallon saltwater FOWLER. The next day it was worse (or better :) ?) so I could get a better look at them. I could see them moving around! Yesterday and today I see them all over the glass. With a magnifying glass I can see the antenna and tail. I'm sure they are copepods. It seems to be a "bloom." I don't think I have any copepod grazing fish (Porcupine puffer, dwarf lion, yellow tang, and dwarf golden eel). I think I got the bloom because I was adding vita-chem to the water to help my lion who wasn't eating and breathing heavy after a anti-bacterial dose to cure fin/tail rot. (He is eating again and looks better!!). My question is, can I have too many copepods? I know they are good, but can I have too many? Do they create much waste and rob oxygen?

No, they are all beneficial! They help your water parameters stay in check. I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you feel it is putting more stress on the tank then you can get them out. I recommend them though

They don't seem like they are bothering anything at this time.

Then I wouldn't worry about it! Enjoy them! I love watching them swim around, its a secondary population that naturally occurs.

True. I forgot about him. I have a green spot in my tank an would like to get a mandarin. Maybe after my sump and refug is set up.

True. I forgot about him. I have a green spot in my tank an would like to get a mandarin. Maybe after my sump and refug is set up.

That will do the trick, mandarins are really hard to take care of but a refugium would be a big bonus!

That's the one I want! Do you like him? Does he eat the frozen food without hesitation? Info please: )

Beneficial organism, food source for many fish, and I envy you :lol:. I wouldn't recommend putting a mandarin even in the refugium because they can eat 2,000-4,000 pods a day(!!!) and a refugium is supposed to be a refuge for pods so that they can't get eaten and can populate...

Beneficial organism, food source for many fish, and I envy you :lol:. I wouldn't recommend putting a mandarin even in the refugium because they can eat 2,000-4,000 pods a day(!!!) and a refugium is supposed to be a refuge for pods so that they can't get eaten and can populate...

I think they ment that they would keep a mandarin in the main display and the refugium would be for populating the main display

Lol, you could bag them up and sell them. Haha. I wish my tank were a reef tank, but for now FOWLR. That's way out of my comfort level. I'll just keep admiring everyone else's.

Back
Top Bottom