Too much rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookiemn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just started a 60 gallon acrylic and bought 30 lbs of live rock. I am looking to buy another 90 lbs of live rock because a guy I know is breakign down his tank and offered to sell me his rock for $2/lb. Do you think that 130+ lbs of live rock is too much for a 60 gallon?

is it going to be a reef or a fowlr or a fo? if it is a reef you might not have any room to get corals to grow.

I wa thinking of making it a reef tank. I am thinking of some soft corals and possibly a clam. As for livestock, I am definitely getting some clown and maybe a small angel.

cookiemn said:
As for livestock, I am definitely getting some clown and maybe a small angel.

Consider whtat corals you want and carefully choose an angel, most will nip on corals and clams.

you might want ot see if when you put 130 lbs in a 60 is there any room left in the tank. they say you should only cover about 1/3 of the area with rock. or is it 2/3. one of the two

the typical rule of thumb is 1.5 pounds per gallon as a minimum. at 130 pounds you'll be at just over 2 pounds per gallon. I think that would be the upper limit, but it's really going to depend on the rock itself. If it's dense rock then 130 pounds wont take up as much space as rock that's less dense. As others have noted, it's really going to depend mostly on how much space it takes up and what other things you want to put in the tank. For instance, that much rock in a 60 gallon I would rule out any tang for your tank as they need as much open space for swimming as they can get.

Back
Top Bottom