Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Training a mandarin to eat frozen

I have successfully kept a mandarin in this tank for about 2 years before (he jumped ). I never gave him anything supplemental; he just ate the copepods that were in there and lived a fat and happy life. I recently rescued a STARVING mandarin from the lfs, and he isn't picking the rocks for pods (they said they were feeding him algae pellets and blood worms--no wonder he was so skinny!). Anyway, I don't know how to train this guy to eat frozen so I can supplement the pods that he's curently eating. Any tips? Thanks!

mattscheck4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Check out this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post1073368
It has some good info as well as peoples stories.

~ Mitch

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Depending on how old it is you might not be successful. They are very hard to train but it can be done in rare cases. Try feeding vitamin fortified brine of mysis shrimp. They almost look like pods.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a few good links. If it does eat bloodworms, just feed that for a while then start slowly mixing in brine and mysis. Once it eats everything, don't let it get used to one kind or one brand as variety is the key. One of mine eats everything, and the new guy I got about a month ago is still eating bloodworms along with a bit of brine and is slowly fattening up. Some of the really skinny ones may not eat as they are too far gone that they can no longer digest food properly.

Food Presentation

Pod Eaters - or - Mama Don't Feed Me No Balogna
Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com