Training a mandarin to eat frozen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattscheck4

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have successfully kept a mandarin in this tank for about 2 years before (he jumped :(). I never gave him anything supplemental; he just ate the copepods that were in there and lived a fat and happy life. I recently rescued a STARVING mandarin from the lfs, and he isn't picking the rocks for pods (they said they were feeding him algae pellets and blood worms--no wonder he was so skinny!). Anyway, I don't know how to train this guy to eat frozen so I can supplement the pods that he's curently eating. Any tips? Thanks!

Depending on how old it is you might not be successful. They are very hard to train but it can be done in rare cases. Try feeding vitamin fortified brine of mysis shrimp. They almost look like pods.

Here's a few good links. If it does eat bloodworms, just feed that for a while then start slowly mixing in brine and mysis. Once it eats everything, don't let it get used to one kind or one brand as variety is the key. One of mine eats everything, and the new guy I got about a month ago is still eating bloodworms along with a bit of brine and is slowly fattening up. Some of the really skinny ones may not eat as they are too far gone that they can no longer digest food properly.

Food Presentation

Pod Eaters - or - Mama Don't Feed Me No Balogna

Back
Top Bottom