Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
(yea I know, even the Jersey shore is clean now -- Right!)

Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
is back to save the day!

The jersey shore is disgusting. The water is like practically black now.. And its cold.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sometimes we take advantage of the environment around us. It is safe to say today that we abuse it so much that we are practically killing ourselves, much of it as part of the campaign to force Earth on her knees before us. But we don't realize that in our attempts to understand her waters, we are demolishing them. Coral Reefs and the wonderful species that inhabit them may be here for this generation and the next, but when the day comes that keeping fish in boxes for our amusement is more important then their existance itself, Timmy's little percula could be the last on the planet.

What I'm trying to say is that we don't know our oceans well enough to be taking large chunks of them into study.

...And when he said that the Jersey Shore was even clean, I thought he was talking about the kind on MTV.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks everyone, I think I'll just visit some LFS while I'm down there and see what they have. I didn't plan on diving or anything like that to get things to bring home. I just figured that if I saw some cool shells or critters on the beach, I'd see what could travel back to WV with me, but guess I'll be leaving it all alone. That will make my travel buddy happy, more room for his golf clubs
Old 04-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

And Florida is the place to golf.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Never saw the MTV "jersey shore" Lived it too much to want to see people like that anymore than I have to. (Yea, I lived in Seaside for a bit and in Toms River on the bay for years).

Admitting to a fedral crime on a public forum is not something I would want to do. Forget Chuck Norris. A po'd fed looking to make an example of someone is all it takes.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Then you know what I'm talking about and why it can be a different kind of 'dirty.'
Old 04-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actully, i see no reason for you to take some dry base rock. Dont take it off the shore line though, take it from inland. It is just laying around, it is all the rock thats up here.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I knew I could get a few goody goodies fired up with that post!

I support a couple different reef/sea life conservation societies. I have even done volunteer work at the Florida aquarium.

So Zero before you start bashing "people like me" Its people like me that help fund these organizations to do the good work they do.
And I also go to Key West area twice a year and I always take a little something back with me. Come throw me in the slammer!!
Dont try to scare the guy from getting a rock or a shell or whatever. Thats stupid. And dont try to act all goody goody on me when everyone on here probably has things in there tank that are not helping the environment.
You cant have fish and coral in a tank in your house and think your helping the situation much. You want to help? Stop this hobby all together! Thats the best thing you can do.
Im not going too. But i do feel i do my part to counter act the damage i do.
And volunteer work at the aquarium is awesome! You will learn more in a week than you could learn in 2 years of doing it yourself.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just look around the forums and Fish advertisements and see how many "Tank raised" fish you can now purchase. When I started the hobby no fish were tank raised. Now clowns, pseudochomis, dotty backs and Mandarins are added to the list. These tank raise fish are the future of our hobby.
All except one piece of LR in my tank was made DIY in my yard. Try and look at the coin from two sides and you can see the whole picture.IMO

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com