Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh i agree that tank raised fish and man made rock IS the future of this hobby. But at the present moment there are a LOT of tanks around that dont have tank raised or man made products in them. But then there the first to bash me for picking up some rock! I dont get it! Just because i didnt pay someone for it? Who knows but to me there is no difference!
So I say dont bash me unless your perfect yourself!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #22
is back to save the day!

First off, i wasn't bashing. I even said i don't want to start a fight. Second, if you play such a larger part in helping the florida reefs grow... or whatever it is you do, then why are you telling people to just RAPE AND PILLAGE the beaches and take whatever they want. That doesn't seem very smart, especially coming from someone such as yourself, who claims to help out the reefs.

And actually.. aside from the livestock i buy online for my tank.. i'm only 18.. so i haven't been alive long enough to actually screw anything up. I've never collected shells/rocks/sand etc.. from the beach because.. that just sounds stupid. And shells are just shells. I step on them and crush them(sorry if there are any shell activists here.. LOL). I don't collect them for my tank so it can look even more artificial than it already is.. being inside a glass box and all.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Joining MADD (Mothers Againstg Drunk Driving) does not excuse DUI (driving Under then Influence). What you are saying is everything is fine as long you don't get caught! "Raping" the Keys will in fact lead to the end of this hobby. There is already an act moving forward that would outlaw the trade in corals. The way it is written it would include trading corals between friends.. So this hobby is already under attack, let's not prove the real "goody goodies" correct.

I've already stated that you may want to restrict what you say in an open forum. Giving out personal information such as your email address or phone number is not a good idea in a public forum. Neither is admitting to breaking a federal law twice a year.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well said, cmor, as a moderator you might do well to lock this thread before it gets out of hand.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #25
is back to save the day!

+1 to the last two posts. I think cmor just explained what i was trying to say a little better..
Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #26
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyers18 View Post
Well I knew I could get a few goody goodies fired up with that post!

I support a couple different reef/sea life conservation societies. I have even done volunteer work at the Florida aquarium.

So Zero before you start bashing "people like me" Its people like me that help fund these organizations to do the good work they do.
And I also go to Key West area twice a year and I always take a little something back with me. Come throw me in the slammer!!
Dont try to scare the guy from getting a rock or a shell or whatever. Thats stupid. And dont try to act all goody goody on me when everyone on here probably has things in there tank that are not helping the environment.
You cant have fish and coral in a tank in your house and think your helping the situation much. You want to help? Stop this hobby all together! Thats the best thing you can do.
Im not going too. But i do feel i do my part to counter act the damage i do.
And volunteer work at the aquarium is awesome! You will learn more in a week than you could learn in 2 years of doing it yourself.
I just want to ask one question that I don't really need an answer to.

KMyers- what would the biologists and other volunteers think if they read your posts?

It seems slightly counter-productive to me to work for organizations that try to educate against some of the very actions you take. I guess our aquarium educates its volunteers a little better.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok...ok, I'm just going to go to St. Augustine and enjoy myself and take lots of pictures. Thanks for all the advise

Sorry
Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
Actully, i see no reason for you to take some dry base rock. Dont take it off the shore line though, take it from inland. It is just laying around, it is all the rock thats up here.
I still stick with my statement as with the shellrock, this is what Florida is built on as floridas dry land is built on a dead coral reef. It is like taking a rock from your back yard. I also dont see anything wrong with taking some shells if you want for your tank. I DO NOT think taking life from the ocean is right. It is the 1 reason that is stopping me form doing sw but that is another topic. I see no problem with a rock from Florida as like i said they are everywere, and you can find some really interesting peices.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. I've never been to St. Augustine and I'll only have one free day to "roam", but we'll see. I'll just keep in mind what everyone has said.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #30
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Enjoy Florida! Have a wonderful and safe trip!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com