Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by capj64 View Post
Thanks. I've never been to St. Augustine and I'll only have one free day to "roam", but we'll see. I'll just keep in mind what everyone has said.
Make sure to go to the Castillo de san Marcos. Incredible structure, awesome history, and a National US Monument.

150 gallon tank. Saltwater. Live rock. Queen Angel.
& 65 gallon tank. Freshwater. Moderately planted. Rainbowfish.
& 35 gallon. Nursury. QT. Hospital. Etc...
Old 04-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
Take only photos and leave only footprints!

20 Gal - Planted CO2 Community Tank
4.5 Gal - Planted Shrimp Tank - in progress

Useful Acronyms
Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Oh St. Augustine is very nice!
I love that place! So peaceful...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well first off the original post was meant really to just raz people on here a little.
Im pretty sure no one is going to really rape and pillage.

As for admitting a crime on an open forum not real scared that there going to come lock me up over it. And as for twice a year...Im not going down there filling up a truck with rock and fish and coral etc. I might pick up a rock if looks cool. Or a shell or something like that. As for the live rock i got years ago I just happen to find a place along the side of the road where i stopped to take a couple pictures that had rock about 3 feet out in the water I had a cooler so I got about 60lbs... Big deal. Your not really going to get anything good unless you have a boat and some dive gear. And there are Faaaaaar more things going on that are ruining our reef systems than me picking up five rocks from Pine Key.
How about the Chinese ship that just crashed into the great barrier reef or the ships that come over here that dump there ballast with all there polluted water right on top of our reef systems. Or the snorkeling tour guides that take people to see reefs and the people just tear it to (Moderator edit) with there fins and touching it.

And the law that one of you spoke about... not being able to trade coral etc. That has been around for at least 15 years. They keep renewing it and it never goes through. They want to keep people from harvesting it from the wild. I agree with that 100%
Anyway This is the reason why I have been a member on here since 2004 and only have less than 300 post. The people and mods on here just go way over board with there advice and rules of fish keeping. Dont get me started on cycling a tank.

Well Capj64 have fun in St. Augustine... There are alot of stores there that sell dead coral pieces for cheap. And lots of shops that sell shells and stuff. Sorry AA people scared you from picking up a shell. But thats how they seem to do on here! Not everyone... but in 6 years, there have been a ton that do that sort of thing! They try to act like environmentalist in one breath but in the next they take a fish that should be in the wild or coral etc and stick in a glass box for there own amusement. Seems a little hypocrytical to me but hey thats just me.

Oh and i don't justify my taking a rock by supporting reef conservation. But I also don't sit on here and try to act like im some type of want to be environmentalist. I like the aquarium hobby for what it is.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Good discussion. Really. Some good stuff to think about and learn in this thread. I think we all have opinions and should be heard. But in the way AA does things. Sorry if that's too pristine for some.

I think that if we all think about it hard enuf, we could agree that "rape" and "pillage" are very harsh words. Being this is a family forum which we pride ourselves on keeping that way, I'd hope folks that don't like it that way would move on. And I am NOT singling anyone out with that statement. Just thought I'd take the opportunity for anyone following this post to understand that.

Heck, I saw a fish forum the other day that has all kinds of harsh, abusive, and foul language throughout it. Some like that, and I think folks have a right to and participate. We just don't like it here. That simple.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
Go ahead and throw a florida rock in your tank, the phosporus content should be enough to teach you a lesson.

I did take home some little shell creature things, clams I suppose. they became hermit food very quickly I think.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well if you took it home and just threw it in the tank then it serves you right! lol

But as educated as everyone is on AA they would never do that!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

+1 for Enjoy your time in FLA. St. Augustine is a beautiful town and worth a visit if you can spare the time.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Thread closed!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com