Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Traveling to FL, what can I bring home...

I'm going to FL at the end of this month for a wedding. We'll be by the beach so I was wondering if I can pick up interesting "stuff" off the beach and bring it home to put in my tank. It would have to be able to travel in wet newspaper in a plastic tub.
What do you think?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't risk it. Legally or tank-wise. Just what I think.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Don't risk it. Legally or tank-wise. Just what I think.
+1 - You can get into trouble by taking things from the ocean ecosystem here. Most people do get away with it, but I wouldn't try.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok, good to know. Thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I say rape and pillage for what you want. lol I went to Key West and got about 60lbs of cool looking live rock! It traveled back to Orlando in foam coolers!

Been in there ever since! There is no one watching to see if you pick up a rock!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Then you are one of the lucky ones who got away with the expensive stuff. :p
Old 04-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Pretty sure the Keys are considered PROTECTED WATERS and removing anything is a crime.
Anything on the beach is subject to pollutants (yea I know, even the Jersey shore is clean now -- Right!)

North America’s only coral barrier reef and the third longest barrier reef in the world lies about six miles seaward of the Florida Keys, a 220-mile long string of islands extending
south and west of the Florida mainland. In recognition of the significance of the coral reef ecosystem, the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary was created in 1990, extending 2,800 square nautical miles on both sides of the Florida Keys. In 2001, the boundary was increased to 2,900 square nautical miles with the addition of the Tortugas Ecological Reserve. Management in these state and federal waters is achieved through a cooperative agreement with the State of Florida.
With certain exceptions, the following activities are
prohibited Sanctuary-Wide:
• Removing, injuring, or possessing coral or live rock.
• Discharging or depositing trash or other pollutants.
• Dredging, drilling, prop dredging or otherwise altering the seabed, or placing or abandoning any structure on the seabed.
• Operating a vessel in such a manner as to strike or otherwise injure coral, seagrass, or other immobile organisms attached to the seabed, or cause prop scarring.
• Having a vessel anchored on living coral in water less than 40 feet deep when the bottom can be seen. Anchoring on hardbottom is allowed.
• Except in officially marked channels, operating a vessel at more than 4 knots/no wake within 100 yards of residential shorelines, stationary vessels, or navigational aids marking reefs.
• Operating a vessel at more than 4 knots/no wake within 100 feet of a “divers down” flag.
• Diving or snorkeling without a dive flag.
• Operating a vessel in such a manner which endangers life, limb, marine resources, or property.
• Releasing exotic species.
• Damaging or removing markers, mooring buoys, scientific equipment, boundary buoys, and trap buoys.
• Moving, removing, injuring, or possessing historical resources.
• Taking or possessing protected wildlife.
• Using or possessing explosives or electrical charges.
• Harvesting, possessing or landing any marine life species except as allowed by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Rule (68B-46 F.A.C.).
Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I say rape and pillage for what you want
go ahead and add breathing the air and staring to long to cmors list. I wouldnt do it, sounds like you could get round house kicked in the head for that.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

Not trying to start a fight or anything, but KMyers18, it's people like you that destroy the worlds ecosystems. You think that since no one is watching, and that since IT'S ONLY A FEW ROCKS, nothing bad will come of it. But your not the only one with the mindset, "its only a few rocks, what harm can come of it.." There's tons of people like that, either for ignorance, lack of knowledge, or just straight up disregard for anything other than themselves. The more people like you, the more destruction will fall upon nature. I'm no tree huger by any means.. but the law is put in place for a reason. Not so the state can hoard all the coral, rocks, and fish for themselves, but so they can preserve that natural wonders of this world.

Please everyone reading this thread, BUY CAPTIVE RAISED/AQUACULTURED WHEN POSSIBLE. SAVE THE REEFS.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea, Chuck Noris is coming for you for taking that live rock.
MAtt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com