Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been in contact with the techs at seachem and they assured me that their cuprisob will absorb all the copper and the rock and inverts can be safely put together again and the rock will be fine.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
I've been in contact with the techs at seachem and they assured me that their cuprisob will absorb all the copper and the rock and inverts can be safely put together again and the rock will be fine.
That may very well be true. But what else would they say? I read other people reviews before of that and some praised it for working as stated and being safe while others blamed it for losses of livestock. I myself haver never used that or any other marine ich medicine but I wouldn't risk my corals, rocks, inverts, etc. IMHO better to treat in a QT.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My tank is fowlr. If I put 1 or 2 live rocks into the qt, I wouldn't put them back into my dt. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
That may very well be true. But what else would they say? I read other people reviews before of that and some praised it for working as stated and being safe while others blamed it for losses of livestock. I myself haver never used that or any other marine ich medicine but I wouldn't risk my corals, rocks, inverts, etc. IMHO better to treat in a QT.
Absolutely never treat the main tank if possible but we're talking about two pieces of rock
Old 12-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah I see I thought you meant the DT. Lol sorry for the confusion
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Learn from me. I treated my main DT for freshwater and it was not a good thing. :-p All my fish died.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282
Learn from me. I treated my main DT for freshwater and it was not a good thing. :-p All my fish died.
Freshwater ich is a lot different though all you need to do is raise the heat and it's cured! You can put some salt in if you want. But as for as the copper and live rock it seems to be a hit and miss I would just stay away from it and keep up the water changes on the qt.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just thought I'd mention that "ich" Cryptocaryon, is an invert in and of itself. So it goes to stand, that anything intended on killing "ich" would also kill other inverts.

That is why fish can withstand low doses of copper, while ich cannot. Different thresholds of tolerance to Cu.

Also to add, if you treat your tank with live rock and substrate in it using Copper, no amount of aborption will completely remove it to safe levels for other inverts. It will leach out over time. It binds to EVERYTHING in the tank, including plastic. Maybe not so much the glass itself, if you have a glass tank. Don't assume the tank is safe to add inverts back to, even if you have stopped treatment and run Cuprasorb...........and show no detectable readings of Copper. Over time, it will be released slowly, but in bursts, that kill corals, anemones, shrimp, algae, bacteria. etc. You never want to treat a system that will be intended to be "reef"-like with Copper.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks crabs. Setting up a 40g qt tonite.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh! One thing also worth mentioning. There are different kinds of Copper on the market. Take my word for this, because I have tried just about all of them over the past 20 years. Coppersafe works the best. I have never lost a battle using it. I've had very bad results with Cupramine. Sea Chem isn't bad, but Coppersafe is extremely effective. Fully spotted iched out fish to spotless in about 7-10 days EVERY time. Then treat another 3 weeks and you're good to go.

I haven't had to use Copper in a long time, because I have changed my methods, but when I did, Coppersafe was a sure bet. You have to test Cu levels often though, so a test kit is important. When the Cu drops, which it will, you have to be ready to bring it right back up to kill the ich in their most vulnerable stage-free swimming.

Tags
eat, eating, ich, inverts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com