Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some species, however, need to be provided a large tank from birth though. Even when the fish are small, they need to be provided a lot of swimming room or else they become extremely stressed and their growth become stunted. I do agree with you though that people can put a small fish in a tank that will not be suitable for them when they are fully grown if they will be upgrading, but the reality is that the person will most likely NOT upgrade and will think the fish is doing fine since it is not growing large. That is why it is recommended for people to just go ahead and get fish that are suitable for the tank size they have, especially to people new to the hobby.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
Some species, however, need to be provided a large tank from birth though. Even when the fish are small, they need to be provided a lot of swimming room or else they become extremely stressed and their growth become stunted. I do agree with you though that people can put a small fish in a tank that will not be suitable for them when they are fully grown if they will be upgrading, but the reality is that the person will most likely NOT upgrade and will think the fish is doing fine since it is not growing large. That is why it is recommended for people to just go ahead and get fish that are suitable for the tank size they have, especially to people new to the hobby.
exactly..error i wasnt disagreeingwith you, iwas talking more to the OP. its jst pointless to buy a fish, keep it for a year or maybe 1.5, then get rid of it.. cuz lets be honest, whos really gonna have the heart to unload a fish theyve have for over a year? not me

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

And what happens if you lose your job, your wife runs away with the postman and you can no longer afford the bigger tank you now need for that fish in the now-too-small aquarium? IMO you should buy fish for the tank you have now, not the one you hope to have in the future.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davePM View Post
And what happens if you lose your job, your wife runs away with the postman and you can no longer afford the bigger tank you now need for that fish in the now-too-small aquarium? IMO you should buy fish for the tank you have now, not the one you hope to have in the future.
Come on! if you are in this hobby you should have a back up plan before you even bought the tank! If you bought a salt tank and didn't know that it could potentially cost you quite a bit, you shouldn't have owned one at the start. Its your duty to be able to support the hobby financially. If we were to live you lives fearing every " what if " we'd never leave the house. It the simple job of the hobbyist to research before getting a fish.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
exactly..error i wasnt disagreeingwith you, iwas talking more to the OP. its jst pointless to buy a fish, keep it for a year or maybe 1.5, then get rid of it.. cuz lets be honest, whos really gonna have the heart to unload a fish theyve have for over a year? not me
I understand. I completely agree that you can get VERY attached to fish. I do understand that some fish do require a large tank upon birth. My argument was the subject of the bluethroat trigger and a adqeqte tank size for a couple years. Surgeonfish and larger like the the Naso family ect do require very large tanks.

quick question of you hum a-huma, did you monitor the growth rate of your picasso? if you guestimated how many inches for 6 months did it grow?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Im getting a 110 gal in a few days miraculously and I want to do the lion 2 triggers powder blue tang snowflake eel and maroon clown. How's that guys? ? Can it work now? ???
Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafuzy View Post
Im getting a 110 gal in a few days miraculously and I want to do the lion 2 triggers powder blue tang snowflake eel and maroon clown. How's that guys? ? Can it work now? ???
Absolutely!! What triggers were you planning on getting?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Errolp you made my night <3. Id loooooove a ppicaso/humu humu and maybe a niger?? Haven't decided fully on the second. Maybe a clown trigger?? Just kidding haha :/
Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes that can work. Just make sure you don't get 2 triggers of the same family that can cause problems. Rule of thumb make sure each trigger looks different than each other and you will be fine.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Please tell me its not to the same ferocious extent as it is with dorf angels Because I tried a flame angel and 11 yo angel before and I will never do something like that to a fish again It was brutal and sad. What other trigger do you recommend??? Help me out give me ideas!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com