triggers! !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nafuzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
It os "possible" to keep a blue throat trigger with a lion in a 55 gal right?? Key word possible

As well as hearing about and seeing multiple triggers in same tanks of smaller sizes various people told me it can be done

because as Fishkeeper26 says, they need a tank at least twice the size!

But these days that can be said about any fish anymore

Well yeah, but it truly needs 125 gallon as a minimum because of it's activity level

I see. Thank you. Any recommendations for pretty but aggressive fish that could go in a 55 gallon with my lion?

If the blue jaw was a open water swimmer it would require a larger tank. The lion on the other hand should be a dwarf if its gonna be in 55. Triggers are category 2 swimmers they do not require the same tank dimensions as a surgeonfish.

Thanks guys so I think im definitely going to grab a booth throat then at least for a while. Any other recommendations?

What about food 4 the more aggressive fish can I eat the same generic stuff other fish do? like the frozen cubes?

FTMMWS said:
Still doesn't belong in a 55,,plus triggers are plenty active IME

A adult absolutely not, but it will house a juvenile fine until it reaches around 5 inches. As for activeness everyone's experiences are different. IME depending on species some triggers will display more open water swimming and grazing. The blue throat I owed stayed around the rock and bottom of tank and patrolled the bottom.

Errolp so you think I have a nice chance with blue throat? Lions already in. I want 2-3 more fish. Any suggestions? What kind of food best for these kinds of fish

I definitely wouldn't put a blue throat trigger in a 55. Also, depending on the species of lion fish, a 55 might be too small.

Why would you even buy a fish you can't house as an adult? You have to remember that a big part of this hobby is doing what's healthy for the fish. Sure as a juvenile the trigger would be content, but once he starts getting decent length to him its just gonna cause problems. Also what type of lionfish do you have? Volitan, fuzzy dwarf, radiata?

huma-huma said:
Why would you even buy a fish you can't house as an adult? You have to remember that a big part of this hobby is doing what's healthy for the fish. Sure as a juvenile the trigger would be content, but once he starts getting decent length to him its just gonna cause problems. Also what type of lionfish do you have? Volitan, fuzzy dwarf, radiata?

I see where you are coming from but I have my opinion on the matter and yours may differ. Larger species can be kept in reasonably sized aquariums for long periods of time. It's the aquarists duty to provide a suitable tank if it becomes larger. 1 tank move to a larger one won't hurt the fish, stress it yes, but let's face it fish get stressed very easily, after the move,it would be FINE, if we were truly looking out for the well being of the fish we wouldn't put them in tanks, and take them from their natural habitat. We just need to make sure it's going to a good tank. As we all know this can be a expensive hobby if your buying a fish to have for a couple of years in a tank, over those years a responsible hobbyist will be looking into buying a new tank.

Back
Top Bottom