Triggers vs. Cleanup crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

player676

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I probably know the answer, but I'll ask anyway just in case.

Is it possible to keep any trigger with any type of clean up crew. Do to my lack of technical experience I do not plan on having a sump or the like, so I am talking in the main tank. I know triggers eat inverts like crazy, but are there any that are tough enough to survive a trigger and if so, which triggers are the best for that.

Most triggers will happily snack on shelled inverts. I have a niger that pretty well leaves them alone. I dont know if this is the exception to the rule, or the general rule with Nigers.

Yeah they need shells to munch on to keep their teeth from growing too big. I have seen them in the wild munching on dead coral. One actually bit my finger.

It is possible, but will ultimately come down to the triggers personality. What size tank and what other inhabitants are we talking about here?

We're talking about 180g tank. The other inhabitants are still being determined. The tank is in the planning stage. As soon as I finish selling my freshwater fish and break down the tank, I'll be starting the saltwater process. So right now I'm kicking around different fish ideas. It is important that I have some kind of cleanup crew, but I love triggers. There are a number of fish I really want, and its just a matter of seeing which ones work. If I could get a trigger, I'd probably also go with a large angel, maybe a foxface, a snowflake eel...something like that...a lionfish is another possibility.

From doing research at the links given here and a couple of others, I like the Niger, Assasi, Clown (I know this isnt possible for me :( ) and Hawaiian Black.

How about a clean up crew in a fuge....That FW tank you are breaking down could make a nice one. You could put them in there....You might be able to get away with some clams from you grocery store (I'm not sure if it will work or not) but that might keep a trigger happy and distract him from your other clean up crew.

I personally love Rhinecanthus assasi, a beautiful fish with lots of personality and not so aggressive. My personal stocking list would vary within these lines of fish:

x1 Rhinecanthus assasi
x1 Pomacanthus asfur
x2 Zebrasoma desjardinii
x1 Zebrasoma xanthurus
x1 Echidna nebulosa

Basically a Red Sea distribution. Stay away from Pterois sp. since most lions end up with their fin tips being chewed on by trigs. I would still recommend a sump and do not have to be technical at all. I'm sure many here would be happy to help you figure out a sump design :)

Roka,

the tank I am breaking down is the 180g that will be my main tank. Not sure I want a fuge though. I've read about them and I know some people dont think they are necessary. I also dont really like the way they look. I guess if I had to make one, I would, but otherwise seems too complicated for its value.

Innovator,

I may end up doing a sump at some point, but probably not til I'm more comfortable with the equipment I know how to use. I tried doing a wet/dry on my freshwater and it was a disaster. Thanks for the help with triggers vs. lion. I've heard lions dont fare well which is why I would do one or the other, but not both.

Could you trick the trigger with empty hermit shells?

Trick the trig? Not gonna happen. Experimentation and a little luck seems to be the only choice my friend, but don't get too discouraged ;)

I didnt think so. I still have some time to think about my game plan so I'll continue doing research and asking questions as they arise. I really love this site. Everyone is awesome.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom