Trouble cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone. I'm new to this. I have set up a 20 gallon about 2 weeks ago. Being new to this I was talked into cycling with damsels. I now know it is wrong. I need help though. The two blue damsels have been in my aquarium for a week now and i have still only 0.25 ppm ammonia. I thought I should have ammonia by now. Please advise.

with only 2 damsels you won't generate a whole lot of ammonia. Since you do have .25ppm it is working and your cycle has started, just keep an eye on your water parameters.

thanks....suggestion?

thanks. do you have any suggestion on whether i should just take these guys back to the lfs and just use pure ammonia? would it be faster then?

thanks. do you have any suggestion on whether i should just take these guys back to the lfs and just use pure ammonia? would it be faster then?

It wont be any faster. More ammonia in the beginning will just mean more bacteria at the end. If you can take the damsels back, then most deffinately yes!

For one, you are torturing them with that ammonia. If they survive, they will likely be quite disgruntled with you and any new fish to come. ;-)

Maybe this is how a damsel becomes a real demon fish? They are born trouble makers, and then become pissed when subjected to a cycle?
:2gunfire:
Matt

thanks

Thanks a lot. You're right. I didn't know about the cycling process and the pain it causes the fish. Back to the fish store tomorrow morning.

Thank you for deciding to take the fish back to the store.
Tell us a bit more about your tank.
Substrate?
Filtration?
Any Live Rock?

My tank is a 20 gallon high. I have crushed coral as the substrate. I have a hang on the back Aqueon 20 Filter and 15 lbs. of cured live rock, and a regular 15 watt flourescent light. A few good imitation corals as well as decor. i plan on having just 3 small peaceful fish, and some small peaceful inverts maybe hermit crabs and snails. Nothing much.

Great. So this will be FOWLR tank. CC (crushed coral) collects a lot of debris so make sure you stick to a good maintenance plan of vacuuming at every water change. You should plan on changing 3 -5 gallons / week or at least 5 gallons every other week. The fake coral and plants will get coated with algea as well as bacteria. You'll need to take those out to clean them too. If a quick rinse and toothbrush don't do the job you can soak them in white vinegar, followed by fresh water baths (several).

Good luck.

Thanks a lot. I have a question. I have two small spots of brown on the back glass and some new brown on one of my rocks...??? Brown algae? Is this bad? and if so is it difficult to handle?

Yes, it is bad brown algae but can be controlled by controlling the nutrients in your tank. For starters, are you using RO/DI water for your tank topoff and PWC water? Youll want to start if not, as youll never see an end in sight of the algae problems with tap water.

Matt

Light brown? Dark brown?
Is it like dust? Probably just diatoms.
That will go away on it's own in a few weeks.

Yeah they are light. Almost like a thin layer of rust. I do use RO water. Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom