Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to laurandavid
Yes there is an airconditioning vent about almost directly above the tank, I never even paid attention how close the vent is to the tank, its on the ceiling and the vent was pushing the airflow towards the tank, with the weather being so warm , the air was still running even in October! The heat also comes out of this vent , am I going to have a similar problem when the heat comes on? grrrrrrrr.

My hubby closed off the vent tonight and we are going to put a deflector on it to keep the air flowing away from the tank.

Thank you!!

55 gallon sw fowlr

10 gallon fw , housing my 6 year old red cap oranda, LUMPY!!
laurandavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The air may be a blessing in the summer as it will help keep temps down possibly removing the need for a skimmer. In the winter it may help to heat the tank if the temps get too low. The good thing is you can control it as you're doing. I too have a vent directly over my tank. I happily open it in the summer when the air conditioner as it helps keep my tank cool.

chase33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by chase33
The air may be a blessing in the summer as it will help keep temps down possibly removing the need for a skimmer.
Just to avoid any confusion, me thinks he meant "chiller", not "skimmer."

Most likely, your heater is going to be set in the range of 77-80 or so, I'm guessing. So I don't think the heated air is going to be an issue. Unless your air comes screaming out at 100 degrees or something!

I still am struggling to see how your 200W heater couldn't keep up with the air conditioned air, even blowing directly on it. But hey... I'm amazed at how quickly a little fan blowing across the top of a tank can drop the temp by 2 degrees, even with no a/c.

What I'd do next summer, rather than block off the a/c, is actually get a bigger heater that could keep up with the drop in temp. It's way easier to heat water up than it is to cool it down, and having a "built in" chiller would be a pretty cool thing.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It too think he meant chiller.
DOLPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
Not agreeing or disagreeing here but in this article (earlier posted by melosu58)

the author states to QT anything that is wet. While it is likely that your snails won't carry in anything its not a risk I'm willing to take. I would say your QT is a great idea and to keep going with it, it can't hurt and it can only help in the long run.

Besides that I'd say you've found your problem and solution, hope things are going well.

Lecithin is offline   Reply With Quote

snail, snails, trouble, turbo, turbo snail, turbo snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com