Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to laurandavid
Trouble with Turbo Snails

I have an issue with keeping Turbo snails , I cant get them past the quarantine tank, after my tank cycled , I added a clown fish and a chromis, I also have a chocolate chip star fish, several blue legged hermits , two scarlett hermits. My first fish was the o. clown, at which time I also bought two turbo snails , I used two separate quarantine tanks , one for the clown and one for the snails , the snails lived for three weeks in th q. tank one died. (drip method for acclimation) , after another week, I introduced the snail to my 55 gallon tank, it died a week later, I have since tried 5 other turbos from different stores , all die. My water parameters are fine . There is a great lfs in the DC area , they actually sent someone to my home to take a look and he too was baffled, they tested my water for all sorts of minerals etc. and found nothing. I know freshwater is different , but my freshwater snails in my freshwater tank have been alive and kicking for two years, so what the heck is up with the turbos? Hermits are not eating them , when they die they are either in the quarantine tank or the die a week to two weeks in the big tank, I literally watched one fall of a rock on not move again.

The only thing I possibly come up with is water temperature, we have central air conditioning and we turn it off when we are not home. I noticed (why it took me so long to figure it out is beyond me) that when I get home from work the water temp is around 82 and when I go to bed after the air has been on it drops , I found it at 72 the other day. I have been watching it close for a week now , would water temp kill my snails?

Any information would be great. As I said everything else is doing very well.

10 gallon fw , housing my 6 year old red cap oranda, LUMPY!!
laurandavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A temperature swing of 10 degrees is pretty drastic, for anything. I'm guessing you don't have a heater in the tank? If so, set it higher so there isn't such a major swing.

The other possibility, which is why I don't quarantine my snails, is that there isn't enough food in the QT for them.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Why QT snails or crabs.??/?

I never have Problems with them

That pet place in LAncaster pa just says throw them in
Old 10-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I agree with both things Kurt mentioned. 10 degree swing in temp in only a few hrs is unacceptable and very stressful on everything in your tank and unless your qt has live rock with some algae, being in there 3 weeks with no food they can starve to death.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I simply drip acclimate my inverts (at least two hours) and then add them to my tank, no QT.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to laurandavid
ok I had no clues I didnt have to quarantine my inverts ! Now I know, however , that does not explain the two that died in my tank however, I am going with the temp. change due to ac , I do have a heater but the airconditioner tends to even mess with that, I took the lid off of my tank when I had the lid on I had no temp issues it stayed really steady, should I put the lid back on? Since I have been following it closely the temp has not changed drastically so I am hoping thats my issue , I am a little freaked going to get another snail tomorrow , I am afraid I am sending it to its death............. we will see

10 gallon fw , housing my 6 year old red cap oranda, LUMPY!!
laurandavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Keep the lid off and get a bigger, better heater. Having a lid on can adversly affect your pH.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah i Dont have a Lid. And i dont have any problems yet.. that is.
Blue devil Damsel
Zebra turbo Snail
6 Little crabs
Some feather dusters
1 Clownfish
1 emerald Crab
1 Choco taco Starfish
And a stupid little Molly
saltybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Re: Trouble with Turbo Snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandavid
would water temp kill my snails?
No but temperature swings will definitely do it. Time to get the heater going.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandavid
...I do have a heater but the airconditioner tends to even mess with that, I took the lid off of my tank when I had the lid on I had no temp issues it stayed really steady, should I put the lid back on? ...
I'm a little confused - so with the tank lid off, and the heater plugged in and set to something around 82 degrees (I'm guessing since that seems to be your high temp), when the a/c kicks in the heater can't keep up and the tank drops temp that fast?

Looks like you have a 200W heater? Seems like that should keep up with the room cooling by 10 degrees when the a/c kicks on - it's not like that big heat sink of 82 degree water is going to drop temp as fast as the air temp in the room.

Do you have a a/c duct pointing right at the top of the tank? Seems like that's the only way the a/c could mess things up.

Tags
snail, snails, trouble, turbo, turbo snail, turbo snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com