True Percula and Ocellaris Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KSum89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started off with 2 Ocellaris Clown fish, one wasn't acting right since I got him. She was breathing fast and not eating for a first day and half so i returned her and swapped him out for another Clown fish. Didn't want to take the chance of him dying on me... they have a no guarantee policy on dead Saltwater fish.

In the store.. I saw two clownfish with alot of black on them, and thought that it was a Ocellaris just born with more black until i looked it up and found out its most likely a Percula fish labeled as Ocellaris. It looks just like the one pictured on liveaquaria.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: True Percula Clownfish

So will my smaller Ocellaris Clown mate and become the male with this other clown fish i just added yesterday?

No, if you do in fact have one percula and one ocesllaris you could end up with some fighting. Some people have no issues mixing breeds of clown fish, often time they will fight though. Can you post a picture of the new clownfish?

Yeah, I will post a picture. I haven't seen any fighting at all between any fish. Especially the Clowns, but my 6 Line wrasse protecting its hiding spot from my little Royal Gramma. No serious fighting at all.

img3114y.jpg

-It moves around too much to get a clear shot, add that in with the lights still being off. It's Hard to get a clear shot.

So what should i do? Swap out the O-clown for the other Perc? Or can i add 1 mroe of each in my 55 gallon.. I dont know what to do. I trust what you guys on here say more than the store. They don't even label fish right.

EDIT : -They completely ignore each other, the O-Clown shows some interest and follows it for a second then the PErc goes to the other side of the tank. Thats what happened when i caught that picture.

Im going to tell you how it went, my mom was with me she pointed out that clown.. So I say "why does he have so much bold black on him, and he's a little paler..he might be sick, I don't want him. So i end up asking a salesman, he said its possible that that fish was raised and caught somewhere different than the other clowns. I believed it and was like cool..imma be different and get him if he's not sick. Then i ended up looking at pictures on LiveAquaria. (NEW TO SALTWATER FISH, DON'T BASH ME LOL)

Lol, no one is bashing you here. Wait it out, they may be alright together. Time will tell.

Thanks, You think i will be able to add a Blue Tang to my fish tank?

I only have
-Six Line Wrasee
-2 Clowns
-Royal Gramma
-A Cleaner and Peppermint Shrimp

If they do ok in my tank for another month, i want to add a few more fish.. I dont really see anything I like besides a Goby and maybe a Tang.

Not in a 55, tangs need atleast 6 feet to swim, so 120 is the minimum. Some tangs need 180-250 as a minimum.

You have any recommendations evil? I feel like i need more life in there, anything but reefs for right now

You could get some blennies, gobies, basslets and anthias, if youre not going reef your options are even better. :-D

Yeah no reefs, at least for right now. I plan on trying to add an anemone for my clown later. I like how they play in them..

And do i need to add another perc or o-clown or one of both. Because my o-clown looked happier swimming close to the o-clown i took back to the store

nems usually need a tank thats been established for at least 9 months or so and extreme lighting. What are you running for lights?

Yeah thats what the guy at the fish store told me. Right now i only have a long marineland light.. It has 1 row of monlight lights and 2 rows of bright white lights. I know i probably need better light but thats another reason i want to wait anyway. i have 3 long bulbs laying against my wall, i tried to look for the exact name of them but i have no clue. All iT says is 54w 45in on the side, got them free from some guy i met at the fish store.. Nice people.

My percula isnt really eating. He ran up to and smelled the frozen mysis and ran away and i fed flakes this morning he spit one out after grabbing it. Everything else looks normal, runs away from me and swims around alot. I tssted water everythng is still perfect.. Is he still getting use to his new home? I added him satirday night

It does take awhile for them to get use to their new home. The method that I've always used and am 99% sure it works is by looking at the eyes. false percs have almost a complete black eye while a true perc will have the outer part of the eye in orange and then black in the middle of the eye. If you look at the pictures below, you can kinda tell the difference. First one is obviously a true perc

Attachments

• lg-39092-True-Percula.jpg
    lg-39092-True-Percula.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 291
  • lg-69560-clownfish.jpg
    lg-69560-clownfish.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 525
Back
Top Bottom